BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merry Christmas everyone

Who is an E46 expert on here??? I have a whiney steering thats driving me mad. Its quiet as a mouse when cold, but after about 10 mins of driving, it whines when parking, or under load. General driving its fine, not a peep, just when under load. IF i get the wheels up in the air, its also silent.

So far, Ive replaced

The PAS pump with a recon one
The PAS reservoir and fluid (Dextron 3)

still the same

Was told the high pressure hose had a leak, and it COULD be that. £300 later, its been replaced but it STILL whines.

Last thing to replace is the rack, but dont want to spend anymore money on the car without a guarantee it'll be cured.

Anyone had the same or any thoughts???

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
501 Posts
I would suspect the pump. But don't just replace it because of that. You need to confirm which shouldn't be too difficult if you can replicate the sound in your driveway. Have someone turn the wheel whilst you listen. It should be fairly obvious if it's coming from the pump which is towards the front passenger side.
Are you sure it's not the belt which is squeaking?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would suspect the pump. But don't just replace it because of that. You need to confirm which shouldn't be too difficult if you can replicate the sound in your driveway. Have someone turn the wheel whilst you listen. It should be fairly obvious if it's coming from the pump which is towards the front passenger side.
Are you sure it's not the belt which is squeaking?
Deffo not a squeak, although im wondering if its the belt that could cause the noise?? If it slightly slipping would that make the pump strain???

Seems strange that its silent until the car is warmed up, then it whines only under load whilst doing slow manoeuvres.

Its doing my head in :D

·
Registered
501 Posts
If it were me I would check the belt first because the same symptoms would exist of it was the belt. But I'm shocked if it 9s and the garage made you replace hoses and what not.
If you can do It yourself a new descent belt only costs 10-15 quid and takes around half an hour or less to fit. I would change that of it was mine if I know it hadn't been done in the last few years before chucking me money replacing the pump or rack etc

·
Registered
346 Posts
I know it's not exactly the same thing but before I retired I was an engineer for a washing machine company and we used to get small bits of rubber build up on the inside of multi-vee belts and they caused horrendous noise if not changed. It's got to be worth a try for what it costs, much less than other components.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers chaps, thanks very much for the responses. Will change the belt first then.

Now, can anyone fix my 22mpg :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts