BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
conducted an experiment a couple of days ago i filled my car with exactly £20 worth of 97ron fuel @£1.29 a litre from pretty much tank empty..

which £20 divided by 1.29=15.5 litres of fuel

15.5 divided by 4.54=3.4 gallons of fuel

i drove to work twice to warrington and back 35 miles each way on that fuel on the M6 (roughly 30 miles M6, 5 miles urban) @ 60mph inside lane taking it real easy with no hooning or silly stuff..

140 miles divided by 3.4 gallons

=41

so i got a 41 miles to the gallon average for that £20..

are my maths correct?

rather impressive for a 3 litre 9 year old petrol i think don't you:thumbsup:thumbsup

i dare say sludger owners will poo poo that.. but then again just visit the tecc section to see who moans the loudest and the most often in there for that one..:hihi:hihi

·
BFuk Moderator
2,680 Posts
60mph..... next you'll be wearing a flat cap and braces :hihi

On a serious note though that is great mpg and the way fuel prices are hiking up we'll have to drive like that, giving them Diesels a run for their money!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
doing the same journey in a 330d would give him closer to 60mpg - your point?

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
doing the same journey in a 330d would give him closer to 60mpg - your point?
no point point at all but lets see how much an equivelant sludger has cost in repairs @ 9 years plus old? 1 fubar turbo and all your great mpg for god knows how many years don't mean diddly bugger all..

its a really great equation in favour for sludgers if you buy new and change every 3 years tho..

·
Registered
501 Posts
okay i wouldnt mind doing 60mph in a banger coz the rattling and feeling that the car will fall to pieces as soon as you hit 61mph makes you happily drive it at 60, but a beema at 60mph feels like its doing more like 30 and i would rather kill myself than live with the boredom loll

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And yours is a 5 speed DD ? 6 speed should be even better.

Amazing what that speed can achieve, just bores the life out of you......
yup 5 speed..

i agree i don.t mind a casual trudging on the way ta work but homeward bound i usually just wanna open the taps on the old gurl and get her singing..

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
very impressive doggy.. difficult to have that discipline all the time though isn't it?! :hihi

Reactions: dailydoggy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got a 330i Sport 9 year old as well, only difference from yours is mines auto. Getting 23 ish to the gallon round town and 35 on runs doing average 70mph. The old girls are not doing to bad and all this with comfort, looks and not horrible smoke!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Pretty much empty isn't really accurate enough you will be surprised how much is left after the gauge reads zero and the OBC tells you you are out.

Only way to really do it is to choose a pump anf fill till it cuts off.
Reset the trip
Then you do your miles and fill up again at the same pump till it cuts off (has to be the same pump as pumps vary angle of car etc)
The litres on the pump is what you used to do the miles.

That was is very accurate.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Is impressive results doggy:thumbsup

I think it just shows that bigger engines are so under stressed at those speeds that they use very little fuel, where as a smaller engine in the same car will be revving faster and harder.
I see loads of threads on here by 320d and 318 owners ect and there mpgs are often worse than there bigger engined brothers and sisters. Of course driving style and type have massive effects on it.

Just to add :hihi (posted this before) drove from junction 16 to 32 on m6 most of the time behind lorries at 56mph OBC recorded 78.4mpg. (When I've tested the OBC it's been 7mpg high) So fairly good!

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pretty much empty isn't really accurate enough you will be surprised how much is left after the gauge reads zero and the OBC tells you you are out.

Only way to really do it is to choose a pump anf fill till it cuts off.
Reset the trip
Then you do your miles and fill up again at the same pump till it cuts off (has to be the same pump as pumps vary angle of car etc)
The litres on the pump is what you used to do the miles.

That was is very accurate.
its not the only way at all..

i know it was pretty accurate cos give or take a mile i had exactly 18 miles registering left on the obd before i filled it and after i had finished my test i had 20 miles registering left going on the current driving pattern, so i know i had used exactly 20 quids worth and how far i got on it without being really anal and obsessive about it tho....

i put 20 quid in it on purpose not 25 not 15 or 30 cos i know from owning the car 8 years and driving the same drive for the same time aswell i know roughly what it takes to get me there and what i can get aswell, i just wanted to prove my theory and have a figure to relate to the theory..

·
Registered
154 Posts
6 months or so ago I did the same thing in my 330ci. I pick my kids up at the weekend once a month from Shropshire so its a long old trudge down the M6 on a Friday evening. I usually wait until after the commuting rush hour and set off about 6:30, get on the M55 then the M6 and stick the cruise on about 65mph, fire up the CD or MP3 player and have a great quiet relaxing drive down to the M54.

I worked my mpg out by brimming the tank then doing a 240 mile round trip then brimming the tank again - pretty accurate. I was easily averaging around 42 to the gallon which makes it an ideal car for me. Don't get me wrong I would love to average 60 to the gallon but very happy with my big reliable petrol engine for long journeys in quiet comfort and then a bit of a monster (for me anyway) when I want to press the loud pedal. Best car I have ever owned :thumbsup

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've got a 320i and have been sticking it on cruise control at 70mph to work and back (65 miles each way all motorway).

I'm getting (according to the OBC) 31mpg..

Question is I've seen a 330ci Auto, will there be much difference in mpg if I stick it on cc at 70mph??

Derves don't sound terribly reliable if I'm being honest.

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 120 Posts