BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys and girls, recently I sold my Fireblade and my Golf is currently up for sale, either way I have funds coming in a few weeks and am looking to purchase a 330D Manual. Don't want an auto, have looked at various options and it's definitely a 330D Manual.

However I have been looking and an SE seems MASSIVELY cheaper than an M Sport or just Sport...

Now I know the key differences, Steering Wheel, Body Kit, Wheels, Suspension and Seats, however does this justify the difference as it's around £1000 and they are a lot harder to come by. I have around 4k to spend and really don't want to go over this and have seen some MINT examples, high mileage doesn't put me off, nor does servicing as I would be doing it myself, however basics like the Steering Wheel can be swapped, suspension can be swapped for coilovers, wheels can be swapped too, but seats... they are hard work and more work than I'm prepared to put in swapping them in a family car...

Am I being crazy? Is a sport worth it?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Seats not a hard change, plenty of sports being broken for spares easily pick up a pair of sport seats and bolt them in.

Could be lucky with an SE ;) check the spec of the ones you're looking at. Mines SE but has sport seats, suspension and body kit. Leather sport seats are so much nicer than standard leather ones IMO

·
Registered
753 Posts
Depends how much of the sport spec stuff you would like, if you want the bodykit, interior and wheels it will just be easier to shell the extra for a sport as the time and money sourcing 2nd hand won't save you much of any money. As xmak said if you look at an SE check the spec. My first e46 a 320ci se had black roof lining, sport interior and sport suspension which of course is all standard on a sport but it all depends what boxes the first owner ticked when he was handing over the readies.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'd go for a sport mate the look far better then the SE and try to convert a SE in to a sport lookalike ain't cheap I find Bmw spares are pretty pricey especially the front and rear bumpers

·
Registered
431 Posts
I personally (no offence to anyone) really don't like "non-sport" BMW's. Just don't like the look, or the seats. It's mostly that front end though, not sure why, just really dislike it.

A "sports" or "Msport" BMW however, with those bumpers and those seats and that black headlining. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sex on wheels.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think trying to swap all the bits over will be more hasle than it's worth and could be false economy anyway...
I agree with the abover non sports really don't have that "specialness" about them that the sports do.

If it was my money I would spend the extra cash

there is a cracking one for sale on the forum Cat D but a hell of a lot of car for the money. Your budget is low for a 330d manual so might be worth a look

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f141/bmw-330d-m-sport-t105602/

edit sorry just noticed it's an auto!

Edit number two - having a complete mare here!! :rofl:rofl:rofl

The above one is over priced, this is the link I meant to put up!!

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f141/2001-e46-330d-m-sport-saloon-imola-red-top-spec-t101819/

Nice car :thumbsup

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think trying to swap all the bits over will be more hasle than it's worth and could be false economy anyway...
I agree with the abover non sports really don't have that "specialness" about them that the sports do.

If it was my money I would spend the extra cash

there is a cracking one for sale on the forum Cat D but a hell of a lot of car for the money. Your budget is low for a 330d manual so might be worth a look

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f141/bmw-330d-m-sport-t105602/

edit sorry just noticed it's an auto!

Edit number two - having a complete mare here!! :rofl:rofl:rofl

The above one is over priced, this is the link I meant to put up!!

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f141/2001-e46-330d-m-sport-saloon-imola-red-top-spec-t101819/

Nice car :thumbsup
Whoa, that first one is real pricey for a CatD! - The second one looks a nice car though, a lot of extras!

And man, what a sexy colour! ;) ;)

·
Registered
654 Posts
If you want a Sport you just as well but one and save yourself the hassle as it will take a fair amount of time/effort and money to buy and fit it in bits.

IMO the E46 Sport bumpers are damn ugly, I do like the seats though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help people, personally I wouldn't swap the bumpers, sorry I didn't make that clear in my initial post, it's just too much money, but I do prefer the M/Sports bodykit looks much nicer!

Also the Red one, if it's still about in a month I'd buy it if he would come down a bit in price! having looked around the cheapest 330d Sport I have found in a manual, was £3000 dead, but the alloys were kerbed and there was heavy wear on the drivers bolster, other than that all ok, was Black and only 80k on the clock with FBMWSH, so not too bad, I think the problem is people have their cars advertised at what they think they are worth, rather than market value, which is why if I wanted a 330i instead of a Diesel I could get a car with much lower mileage and much newer...

However I'll never have a petrol as a first car again lol...

Sold the Golf today so have the luxury of buying private, got a good price on the Golf so budget has gone up, to £4300 :D

·
Registered
961 Posts
If you want a Sport then buy a Sport, although everything is ungradable (the black headlining could be interesting) it'll be cheaper to buy a sport.

I've had both SE and Sport models, not a huge diference in them driving everyday. If you enjoy driving then get a manual, preferably a 6-speed with the 205 bhp M57n engine. The autos are not that reliable especially if driven hard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts