BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just topped up the oil this morning and noticed a mayo like substance under the oil cap, not much of it, but enough to notice.

From what I'm aware the likelyhood is one of two reasons

1) Head Gasket failure
2) Condensation build up

Obviously its mid winter so I know it will take longer for the engine to heat up & the driving I'm doing at the moment is 2x15miles & 2x1mile each day

What's the thoughts of the experts? Should I be worried about the HG? Are there any checks I can easily perform (I'm not a mechanic!)?

Thanks in advance!!

K

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I would not panic just yet mate.......................check the dipstick-what does the oil look like? any mayo? does the car overheat? any driving/idle issues?

If the answer to the above questions is no then do'nt worry about..........a little mayo under the cap is pretty normal- its just moisture that has built up under there- does not mean anything........dont worry about.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'd imagine its just the short journeys mate :)

I dread to think what mine looks like! I do 2x1.5 mile journeys every day... and only further if im off out... which isnt often!

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
when my head gaskets went in a different ccar I had the engine was vibrating a lot in its mounts, also the coolant level dropped very quickly and the exhaust was blowing clouds of moisture out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts