BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 E46 325xi, 208k miles, automatic.

Drives and shifts fine and I want it to stay that way. Should I have the transmission fluid changed and serviced? Just bought from an individual and dont know the history of or if it has ever been serviced.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Tricky one that, as some say change the trans fluid as a preventative. Others say if it's ok, leave it as it is. I have a 323ci auto, 76k miles and it runs sweet. I've thought about changing the fluid but not done so. I think unless you have any problems with the gearbox, leave it as it is. It's up to you though :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tricky one that, as some say change the trans fluid as a preventative. Others say if it's ok, leave it as it is. I have a 323ci auto, 76k miles and it runs sweet. I've thought about changing the fluid but not done so. I think unless you have any problems with the gearbox, leave it as it is. It's up to you though :)
I just bought this one (its my second, first was an e36 318is) and I had a choice of 323ci or 325xi. The ci was a standard shift with the same mileage and I had concerns about all the components that "could" go bad, so I ended up buying the xi. I am really happy with it thus far and only minor issues like visor clips and auto dim mirror (which I have since bought via ebay). But I just want to make sure it continues to run smooth and shift smooth and not wait until it becomes an issue beyond a fluid change.

I brought it to a local oil change place today and had the oil changed (high mileage oil 5W30) and coolant change, right off the bat the greasy old mechanic walked into the waiting room and showed me BROKEN oil cap pieces and said "it was cold and the heat of the motor caused it to break in my hand". I was two seconds from telling him to pull it out and I was leaving, but I needed the oil change. Not going back there again!

Thank you for the input of the trans fluid change :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
No problem. Makes me wonder whether the mechanic used more than his hands to get the oil cap off... At least you've had the oil changed. That's one of the service items recommended done if you've just got the car but don't know when the last oil change was. Did you get LL04-spec oil? And did the oil filter get changed too? You probably know already, but change out the engine and pollen/cabin filters as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as the type of oil used, the paper work doesnt show the brand only 'high mileage oil". The filter is listed as the Purolator L25247. I checked the oil again today to make sure its full and nice, but found it not so clear n clean looking but more dark'ish looking. Im going to drive it 500-1000 miles and have it changed again, but NOT at that place again. This may be a dumb question, but is it recommended to run any kind of engine flush thru the engine oil to further clean it? I have never heard good things or results from doing so. I am going to change the cabin filter soon as well.

Im going to speak with an import mechanic this coming week (im in the US) and see what they say about the trans fluid.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I do not know much about engine flushes, so can't comment on how good or bad they are. Some owners have changed to a cheap oil, run it for a few hundred miles to 'clean the engine of the old oil, then changed again to a better oil. Costly, but it might be an option if you are worried about an engine flush.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the end, I went with the Red Line D4. The service center told me in was a direct replacement and would mix with the Texaco 8072B fluid type. They had also told me that my fluid level was 2 quarts low upon fluid/filter change. Not sure how low it has to get before you can hear or feel a shifting problem but it was shifting flawlessly before the change and upon test drive after, was also smooth n flawless. Thanx to all that posted n helped :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts