BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought a 325 Ci about 2 months ago with a cleaned engine, I have just changed the anti roll bar bushes and found an oil leak coming from the top of the engine at the front but I don't think its the rocker cover gasket, is it the vanos unit? Is it an easy fix?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hi, I bought a 325 Ci about 2 months ago with a cleaned engine, I have just changed the anti roll bar bushes and found an oil leak coming from the top of the engine at the front but I don't think its the rocker cover gasket, is it the vanos unit? Is it an easy fix?
Can you post a picture of the leak?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had a look this afternoon, at the front of the engine, near the top is a metal tube with a plug at the end of it, it seems like its leaking there. I think its the vanos unit but as I'm new to beemers I cannot say for certain right now. I just booted it up the bypass and its not leaking. Weird

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would a solenoid for the vanosletak oil onto the side of the engine's coolant hose? The oil on the solenoid seemed baked on but underneath the car the oil is wet. Does the 325i have 2 solenoids for the vanos?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Would a solenoid for the vanosletak oil onto the side of the engine's coolant hose? The oil on the solenoid seemed baked on but underneath the car the oil is wet. Does the 325i have 2 solenoids for the vanos?
Yes, the M54 engine has dual vanos. The best was to trace a leak is by cleaning the old oil off and then looking to see where fresh oil starts to appear from. I'm not that familiar with Vanos leaks but I know you can buy replacement seal kits.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure if my last post will go through, this forum has issues (which seems to be fitting). I've found some parts on eBay. Gonna have a crack next week.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One if the brake booster vacuum hoses has collapsed, its small, reinforced and goes plugs onto a plastic component behind the inlet boots. If its collapsed is something blocked in the plastic venturi, the venturi has 3 tubes that hoses attach on to. 2 of them allow air to pass but the one that the collapsed hose goes onto seems blocked, however I don't know how its designed to work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts