BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since having the car (about 3 months) there’s been a slight whine noise at idle. At first I didn’t suspect the power steering pump as there’s a receipt for it being replaced only 6 months ago. But today I discovered that the noise completely disappears if I very very slightly turn the steering wheel to the right and hold it there.

Now I’m wondering, could it be the pump? Looking at it, it doesn’t look like it’s ever been replaced, which is suspicious. But before I go in and replace it, could the whine be caused by something else in the power steering system? Like the steering rack or lines etc?

·
Registered
17 Posts
What's the condition of the belt. You also say it was changed 6 months ago. It's possible it was second hand and not a new or refurb pump.

Just put a recon unit on mine for £50 from flea bay. Took half hour to drain and flush pipes and fit new pump. Use fresh ps fluid and don't reuse old.

Common fault on these is the shaft can snap which unfortunately happened to me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been busy so haven’t had much time to get to the bottom of this, but I have tried replacing the fluid and checked the belts. Everything looks good, and pump is definitely new.

I noticed something though. The noise will stop if I adjust the steering wheel position. It seems as though the noise is actually coming from somewhere in the steering column/shaft itself. Maybe a resonance through the shaft? I’m thinking this purely because the sound stops just by lifting the height of the steering wheel the slightest bit, but locking in place again the noise returns. Any ideas?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts