BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I need to work out which fuel sensor/pump needs replacing on my car. I have fixed loads of issue with the car including the ABS, Rear Spring, Brake light issue, shitty broken wiring, brake, disc, handbrake shoes and a few other bits but this fuel reading problem is driving me mad.

The fuel gauge always reads 1/2 a tank does anyone know which unit I should change? The car has no fuel feed problems and always start perfectly every time so I'm thinking of changing the left fuel sensor but was wondering if anyone has had the same issue or could offer some advice on this problem.

Cheer
Terry

·
Registered
944 Posts
Don't know about the fuel guage problem sadly, but loving the colour of the car. Not many of us sea green metallics out there!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Floater is not working right or resistors paths are worn out at fuel pump.
Thanks for your help, would you say its best to change the fuel pump sensor side?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know about the fuel guage problem sadly, but loving the colour of the car. Not many of us sea green metallics out there!
The colour is awesome Meergruen Metallic (393), I was going to scrap the car but on looking I found out that the colour is rare to find on this model. I could only find one other for sale in the UK so its now my project car and will do it up. Its on done 108k and the body work is mint for a 17 year 8 month old car, the interior does need doing tho and thats pretty pricey.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could try to clean resistors path first.
Thanks for the device could you give me an idea of how to do that? I assume i'll have to remove the pump/sensor from under the seat first and maybe clean the contacts on the float arm!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup! have a look at this example picture for resistor paths

Thanks for the pictures I can see what you are on about now :) I'll use a little contact cleaner on the path and see what happens :)

Thanks for the advice and images.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your help. I'm not to clever with a multimeter but im great at ripping thing apart lol

I have researched on how to remove the sensor/s and that looks very easy"ish" to do. What sort of reading do you think I should get and where would i make the measurements?

Again thanks for your help it really appreciated.

Cheer
Terry

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I really don't what values those paths are ( I have never measured them, only cleaning).
Just clean them and have a look if they are not worn out (in case for replacing).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts