BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

as some may know, ive recently fitted a 2.8 m52tu to my e46 323.

its running pritty sweet as it is but because im running the 323 ecu still id like to have it remapped so i can get the most out of the new engine..

whats the best way to go about this?

will a live map on the rollers be best?

im running a few modifications too and also want the rev limiter taking of or increasing to more 7-8k..

is this possible

heres a vid of how it runs now, not the best but this was one of the first drives after fitting the engine!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair shout i suppose didnt wanna do this as its extra cost but i suppose itll help so i have a refrance for when it does get mapped..

·
Registered
155 Posts
go do a decent tuners with mapping services and rollers and spend a day there, they will be able to tweak your settings, limiter settings etc.

you'll be pushing 200BHP at the end of day I should have thought, but BHP is just a figure the most important thing is how it feels when driving it!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
go do a decent tuners with mapping services and rollers and spend a day there, they will be able to tweak your settings, limiter settings etc.

you'll be pushing 200BHP at the end of day I should have thought, but BHP is just a figure the most important thing is how it feels when driving it!
oh yeh of course but i still would like to know that the engine is running as it should rather than it be struggling and causing damage

ill have to have a ring round and see what the mappers say

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Awesome GTI should be somewhere close, with a BMW infiltrator from here
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=9368

The main thing to do is see if it is running OK. I have seen previous cars using the wrong ECU, and although you can get hold of fueling and timing maps etc, they are usually programmed / coded to run in 323 or 328 spec.
The general map area rarely covers coding data, that will often be stored elsewhere, along with chassis numbers and fault codes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome GTI should be somewhere close, with a BMW infiltrator from here
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=9368

The main thing to do is see if it is running OK. I have seen previous cars using the wrong ECU, and although you can get hold of fueling and timing maps etc, they are usually programmed / coded to run in 323 or 328 spec.
The general map area rarely covers coding data, that will often be stored elsewhere, along with chassis numbers and fault codes.
just came accross awesome gti on google, think ill be visiting them tommorow for wheel spacers!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Fair shout i suppose didnt wanna do this as its extra cost but i suppose itll help so i have a refrance for when it does get mapped..

Rolling roads vary a lot so without a reference point on the same rollers you don't know if you are getting anything or nothing for your money.

Whether it's running right is anyone's guess. However, it really depends how far the original maps go.

Basically if it has enough leeway it will still be metering air and adding fuel accordingly and trying to rationalise that with lambda when possible.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i paid 300 for a m52tu 2.8 and fitted it myself and replaced appropritate parts where needed along with a good service etc

seems to be a grey area regards mapping

as it is it runs realy well, but sometimes onces its reonised the engine is different i get a emmisions light pop up and then sometimes it runns funny. all i have to do is reset the ecu and it runs great again..

now speaking to jason (fks contacts) he recons i need to be using the 2.8 sensors rather than the 2.5 ones..

ive tried to use as much of the 2.5 parts as possible to keep the wiring and vaccum hoses correct to suit my 323. orignaly i got told that all the sensors are the same so it doesnt matter but jason seems to think that the sensors are matched to the size of the engine even though part numbers are the same.

i dont want to go through the hassle of changing the sensors if it doesnt sort out the running issues..

im in limbo atm, im deffinatly going to get my ecu reflashed to the 2.8 soft ware and see how that goes.. if its still abit funny ill have to swap the sensors :(

wont be a for a few weeks as im skint lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i paid 300 for a m52tu 2.8 and fitted it myself and replaced appropritate parts where needed along with a good service etc

seems to be a grey area regards mapping

as it is it runs realy well, but sometimes onces its reonised the engine is different i get a emmisions light pop up and then sometimes it runns funny. all i have to do is reset the ecu and it runs great again..

now speaking to jason (fks contacts) he recons i need to be using the 2.8 sensors rather than the 2.5 ones..

ive tried to use as much of the 2.5 parts as possible to keep the wiring and vaccum hoses correct to suit my 323. orignaly i got told that all the sensors are the same so it doesnt matter but jason seems to think that the sensors are matched to the size of the engine even though part numbers are the same.

i dont want to go through the hassle of changing the sensors if it doesnt sort out the running issues..

im in limbo atm, im deffinatly going to get my ecu reflashed to the 2.8 soft ware and see how that goes.. if its still abit funny ill have to swap the sensors :(

wont be a for a few weeks as im skint lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i know ive seen it before

my mate is sure he can do it and says it only takes 5minuites so i have no reason to doubt him :silly

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
i know ive seen it before

my mate is sure he can do it and says it only takes 5minuites so i have no reason to doubt him :silly
ok, let us know how you get on, but if he is as good as you say and he can do things like that with a second hand dme then i am supprised he cvan't just do a simple job like re flashing the 323 to the 328 software lol:thumbsup

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
The idea behind that is to swap everything over, and leave nothing to chance.
There have been plenty of half-done conversions that never run right afterwards based on something seemingly minor that wasn't transferred across.
With regards to the ECU, it's unlikely to be a simple reflash/remap using a file from a 2.8, it will need proper recoding.

Most of the ECUs have information in them to run various different models and types, and the correct one is coded like flicking dip switches to select which map set is to be used.
BMW have been doing this for a while to avoid needed to stock large amounts of ECUs, when one type can be coded to work with engines.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts