BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my 2001 e46 320d for a while has been on the sluggish side.

I use to have flat spots in acceleration but this was due to me blocking the egr, once it was recirculating again it had no flat spots anymore, but even through the power is smooth throughout now it seems awfully slow.

I have ridden in other 320ds 136bhp and they seem to pull alot harder.

Today i disconnected my MAF cable to see if it made a difference, but the car actually feels exactly the same with or without it. I have searched forums and havent found anything typically used to solve power issues so have resorted to asking this question on a new thread.

My mpgs around town and short trips are about 35-40mpg which i guess is reasonable. I cant seem to find out what the problem is. One thing i have found odd is that through hard acceleration and high revs i don't see hardly any smoke out my exhaust and most diesels i know and seen have puffs of black smoke pouring out.

As for the turbo it was changed the last 20k miles and it seems to be working absolutely fine. I have a slightly loose flexy pipe and i can hear the turbo pretty loud releasing boost when i drop the clutch.

I am very confused and your help from his forum would be appreciated.

·
5,893 Posts
Hi mate
I have the same car as you and when my flexi joint went bad I did not hear any boost related noises when dropping the clutch.
I can floor my car too and it doesn't give out a puff of smoke either.
Your around town mpg seems to be accurate enough depending on how hard you rev in first and second gears.
Has your car had a maf change by any chance and the maf wasn't programmed in to the ecu?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh i see, i assumed as i was releasing the clutch the pressure was escaping early through the flexi joint rather than out the back of the exhaust, thus me hearing a swoosh sound un silenced by the back box ( not that i have one :hihi ), i dont hear anything when im accelerating or when the turbo is spooling, only when i depress the clutch i can hear that whistle type swoosh. The previous owner did change the maf, but he said it was coded, also its a bosch one thats fitted that looks very clean, so again im still pretty confused lol :shifty:

·
5,893 Posts
Try removing the MAP SENSOR at the back of the manifold and giving it a clean with electric contact cleaner.
Don't poke anything into the hole,just spray into it to remove as much gunk as you can.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay i will try that tomorrow if the weather allows me, while im at it i might aswell remove the intake and give that a clean too :cool . If that fails im going to look again for a possible boost leak :headache

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi, disconnect the EGR it will just block your manifold up. If you unplug the MAP sensor and it runs exactly the same then your map is knackered as it won't be boosting. If it makes the car slower then it works to some degree, but as above, cleaning it can help, although sometimes only for a short period. You can get power pipes for these that have a blank on the end for the egr and removes the valve completely from the inlet. They are about £20-£30 on ebay. worth every penny!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts