BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I have a 320d with 136000 miles on the clock, and the turbo was changed, along with the vortex filter by BMW at approx 60000 miles.

It is now making a loud whining noise, from around 2000rpm when I accelerate and on the overrun but not when at constant speed. It sounds like the noise her hoover makes when she switches it of, or like the old milk floates. Not so loud when parked and reved and the sound is definately from the turbo area.

The car runs fine, has full power, and does not smoke or use oil, and the only other thing is a rattle from the exhaust when first starting up and cold.

The noise just started about 1000 miles ago and has not got any worse.

Any thoughts would be helpfull, I've got to take it to the dealers soon for the airbag replacement but don't want them involved if I can avoid it!

Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There always has been a slight turbo whistle if yo listen hard enough, but this new noise does not kick in until about 2000 revs and only on acceleration or over run. As it does not do it at steady speed I am hopeful its not turbo, but perhaps I'm too hopeful !!

·
Registered
106 Posts
A whistle sounds normal but the new noise is a bit of a worry, maybe remove the turbo to intercooler pipe and check for play in the compressor wheel, and that it spins freely and quietly without catching the housing?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorted !

Car in for MOT and it failed due to leak from exhaust flexi joint. New section of exhaust and no more Whine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts