BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

I will take some stick for this I know but the time has come due to finances and additional commuting for work that I need to replace the 330 for a derv :embarrassed.

Ultimately want to stick with BMW and looking towards 320d. Budget will be c£4k once mine goes (if it does). I see a lot of ES spec's for sale but wanted your opinions if it should even be considered or SE as minimum spec?

cheers :thumbsup

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
In an ideal world petrol wouldn't be taxed then VAT added and would be 60p a litre :mad but your needs must!!!

Think the ES trim hasn't cruise control, MFSW (unless ordered) as standard, you might prefer these option on your commute ?

Taken from wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_Series_(E46)#ES

ES
The ES trim level was the base level available for the European E46s from 2003. It included various safety features as standard equipment, such as anti-lock brakes, 6 airbags, dynamic stability control, and a factory installed alarm which were not common as standard features when the E46 was released.[23] Comfort items such as heated and electric mirrors were also fitted standard.[23] The ES trim did not include cruise control, a multi-function steering wheel (MFSW), leather steering wheel or gearknob, although these were offered as "at-cost" options.[23]

SE
The SE trim level included the options the ES trim level was given, but added cruise control as part of the multi-function steering wheel, headlight washers, parking sensors, leather steering wheel and gearknob.[23] It was the mid-range trim level that offered luxury items, but lacked the sporting items the M Sport and M Clubsport trim levels had, although the drivetrains of both SE and M Sport models were identical.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate - if only hey about petrol, the only 3 I would then have would have an "M" at the front of it :D

If I am honest not too fussed about those options although always a nice to have I know :thumbsup

Guess I just need to look for the best car for the right money, not looking forward trying to sell my current one though with the current petrol prices :eek

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think so - don't know much about it tbh in terms of cost and returns, there isn't anywhere near me either to my knowledge that sell it or atleast haven't seen it.

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
I went for the SE option on my 320d, which im happy with but if I had the choice again I would prob get an msport and sacrifice a high milage example...:thumbsup

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Think its about £1500 for a decent kit, mpg returns are slightly less than petrol but the LPG is 65-75p a litre.

Theres a couple of threads I've read here on Bimmerforums, I'll try and dig them out so as you can have a read :thumbsup

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agree mate msport is definately the preferred option :cool, knowing the build quality of the engines the high mileage doesn't put me off either as long as look after and those damn swirl flaps are sorted. My mate's 320d has now hit 150k I think and still pulls lovely

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Think its about £1500 for a decent kit, mpg returns are slightly less than petrol but the LPG is 65-75p a litre.

Theres a couple of threads I've read here on Bimmerforums, I'll try and dig them out so as you can have a read :thumbsup
Much appreciated buddy :thumbsup

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
Agree mate msport is definately the preferred option :cool, knowing the build quality of the engines the high mileage doesn't put me off either as long as look after and those damn swirl flaps are sorted. My mate's 320d has now hit 150k I think and still pulls lovely
Yeah mate as long as its got a half decent service history you'll be fine :thumbsup Mine and slowtechs are both in the 100k+ club ;)

Just do regular oil services and you'll be onto a winner :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have got an ES spec model (E46 318i ES). Very happy with it to be honest. Fortuntely the original owner went for the m-tech wheel and gear stick. the originals are god awful. given the choice... obviously I would prefer the SE spec but I would rather minus a few miles and drop a few quid for the slightly less spec version.

Hope that helps.... :thumbsup

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have got an ES spec model (E46 318i ES). Very happy with it to be honest. Fortuntely the original owner went for the m-tech wheel and gear stick. the originals are god awful. given the choice... obviously I would prefer the SE spec but I would rather minus a few miles and drop a few quid for the slightly less spec version.

Hope that helps.... :thumbsup
thanks mate - a fair few of the ES models I have seen on the usual sites do have the MFSW (msport), I know the alloys are never the best and you don't always get dual climate but still they are a BMW and that's what we love :hihi

1 - 14 of 14 Posts