BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

have a 04 E46 320d Touring regretted selling my old one so bought another one identical

it needs a few bits I noticed the car is very sluggish, turns out the crankcase is leaking oil so have a vortex one ordered (hoping it will fix the issue)

a/c tensioner is cracked and ripped the belt also crankshaft pulley has play I’ve read online it’s a seriously tough job to do on your own anyone on here have any tips?

A couple of times recently I’ve had a loud clunk/thump underneath the car (sounds like metal on metal thump as if someone hit underneath the car with a hammer)

it happens sometimes it I take a sharp turn or I am coming to a stop/ taking off.

initially my first thought was diff/prop shaft, however it’s impossible for me to re create the problem!

haven’t got a chance to get under the car yet but just wondering has anyone had similar problem? Is there an easy way to check if it’s the propshaft bearing?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Sounds more like diff mounts or possibly rear subframe mounts if it's clonking that badly from the rear. RTAB bushes can cause similar noises clonks as can failing propshaft guibos.

Failed propshaft support bearing would normally give you running noise (whining etc) rather than just isolated nasty clonks - not to rule out out, but it wouldn't be my first suspect based on your description.

·
Registered
204 Posts
at 10-15mph tap the brake pedal, if there is a clonk from under the floor it is front control arm bushes.

a play in the crankshaft pulley will 1st trow off or damage the a/c belt. i have done it alone, but that wasn't the original and it wasn't torqued up to factory spec. i managed to remove it with an impact gun. and i wasn't able to torque it up to factory spec either, but it is fine since 3 years or so. if you can lock the flywheel somehow that is a big help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds more like diff mounts or possibly rear subframe mounts if it's clonking that badly from the rear. RTAB bushes can cause similar noises clonks as can failing propshaft guibos.

Failed propshaft support bearing would normally give you running noise (whining etc) rather than just isolated nasty clonks - not to rule out out, but it wouldn't be my first suspect based on your description.
thanks for the reply man much appreciated, yeah there’s no real whine that I notice so rear subframe would make sense If it is it would be a good excuse to pollybush so much check it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
at 10-15mph tap the brake pedal, if there is a clonk from under the floor it is front control arm bushes.

a play in the crankshaft pulley will 1st trow off or damage the a/c belt. i have done it alone, but that wasn't the original and it wasn't torqued up to factory spec. i managed to remove it with an impact gun. and i wasn't able to torque it up to factory spec either, but it is fine since 3 years or so. if you can lock the flywheel somehow that is a big help.
Tried the break pedal at 10-20mph and no real noise so that rules that out for now.

yeah I’ve read countless horror stories but at least I know it’s possible to do it alone haha

thanks man appreciate it

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Hi guys

have a 04 E46 320d Touring regretted selling my old one so bought another one identical

it needs a few bits I noticed the car is very sluggish, turns out the crankcase is leaking oil so have a vortex one ordered (hoping it will fix the issue)

a/c tensioner is cracked and ripped the belt also crankshaft pulley has play I’ve read online it’s a seriously tough job to do on your own anyone on here have any tips?

A couple of times recently I’ve had a loud clunk/thump underneath the car (sounds like metal on metal thump as if someone hit underneath the car with a hammer)

it happens sometimes it I take a sharp turn or I am coming to a stop/ taking off.

initially my first thought was diff/prop shaft, however it’s impossible for me to re create the problem!

haven’t got a chance to get under the car yet but just wondering has anyone had similar problem? Is there an easy way to check if it’s the propshaft bearing?
the old loo roll filter is better than the vortex,,,it may be the gaskets that sit under the breather or a cracked breather,,,id stick to loo roll filter and just change it every 30-40 k miles

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the old loo roll filter is better than the vortex,,,it may be the gaskets that sit under the breather or a cracked breather,,,id stick to loo roll filter and just change it every 30-40 k miles
Thanks for the reply... ah I see thanks for the info, everything I’ve read online/ people I’ve spoke to recommended the vortex so I ordered that one already with new gaskets etc hoping it will resolve it

·
Registered
206 Posts
With regards to the clunking noise, I feel your pain.. I had the exact same problem back in September, strangely enough it stopped on it own and its had an MOT since so I haven't worried about it but I can only put it down to not have driven too much since the noises started.

Worth getting it checked out though as could be cracks around the subframe mounts, failed diff bushes so on and so forth.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts