BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started to notice a build up of the dredded yellow gunge on the inside on the oilcap. Always associating this with older cars in need of a head gasket change, wonder whether this is actually the problem. car has now covered 90,000 and never suffered a problem.
I can detect no loss of coolant, no oil mix in the coolant and the cap with be perfectly clean after a long fast run. The dipstick is also clear at the tip. Plenty of small journey commutes during the week however brings the gunge back. Have I get a serious problem or is there something else I need to look at. The engine itself since 40,000 miles has always been a bit of an oil burner consuming 1 Litre of castrol edge 0-30 every 1000 miles but the performance and petrol consumption are still fine, so I guess that aspect is not the problem. Possibly the engine is just showing signs of wear at this mileage?
Any thoughts please?

Many thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
You said it yourself-plenty of SMALL journey commutes-Doesn't give the engine a chance to get properly hot so you end up with condensation which causes the yellow gunk.If you are really worried then get an engine block test done,which will tell you if it is indeed HG.What I would do is change the oil and give the car a regular long trip :thumbsup

1 - 3 of 3 Posts