BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello gentlemen
I am from South Africa. I have a bmw e46 318i. I have a serious brake problem. The brakes are hard and excessive force is required to bring the vehicle to a stop. We had fault codes read but non. Then we started replacing parts . Firstly a servo from a local junkyard as well as a new check valve. Still the same. Decided to check the vacuum valve. Seemed ok, so we just replaced the seals. Still no brake. Then we replaced the master cylinder and bled the brakes. Still the same. Lastly we replaced the ABS / DSC unit and bled again. Still the same. I am at wits-end and dont know what to do further. The brake pads and rotors where replaced 4 months ago. What am I missing?
1. No fault codes
2. Changed servo/booster
3. Changed check valve
4. Refurb vacuum pump
5 changed master cylinder
6. Changed Abs unit

Brake fluid flushed
Pads and rotors still ok
Kindly direct me to any further options please.
Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the input gentlemen. The seems to be vacuum. Just for good measure, I removed the vacuum pump. There was some oil inside so I cleaned it and fitted new o'ring seals from BMW. Installed the pump but still the same. I however did notice an audible "swooshing "sound coming from the brake pedal side inside the car. This is when the car is at idle and I press the brake pedal. Could it be that the used brake booster I used was faulty as well.?
On another note, it seems that there is little or no fluid going to the rear. We disconnected the lines at the ABS hydrolic block marked HR and HL and no fluid from those ports. Enough pressure and fluid from the master cylinder lines into the block but non coming out. I assume it has to bled with inpa?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hi try removing the angled vacuum connection from the servo you should be able to hear air rush into the servo.Does it pass the servo test pump brake pedal to exhaust the servo foot hard on the pedal start the motor does the pedal go down about an inch.???
If it passes these tests remove the angled connection to the servo get a long tie wrap probe the servo for engine oil.
Reduced vacuum capacity will cause the problems you have.
It also sounds like you need to bleed the complete system as well you ideally need inpa or some other program to operate the abs pump,pressure bleeder also very useful as already stated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts