BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My car has overheated at least ten times by now, I've changed everything in the cooling system, except for the radiator and expansion tank's cap.
After couple months of peace, it overheated again, first I thought it could be the fan since it was not working when car got hot, but I unplugged the coolant sensor and it start working like an airplane, but temp didn't came down, I just notice some oil in the coolant, (few), so I’m thinking it might be a blown head gasket, some post I read suggest it could be a oil cooler, my car is Manual so I don’t think I got one, some people say there is, some people say there is not.
I did the 10 steps bleeding procedure at least 4 times now, something really weird is that after bleeding I took the car to a hill for a test, it overheated, but when going down the hill it start to cool down, I wasn’t going fast at all.

Any ideas???

PS: Excuse my English, I’m from Costa Rica, by the way that’s why I don’t want to buy unnecessary stuff, parts are expensive over here.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Do you have white smoke coming from the tail pipes? Does the smoke smell like stale water (best way I can think to describe it)? What colour is the oil currently? Can you smell combustion gases from the header tank while it is running? Is the cooling system holding positive pressure for extended periods?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have white smoke coming from the tail pipes? Does the smoke smell like stale water (best way I can think to describe it)? What colour is the oil currently? Can you smell combustion gases from the header tank while it is running? Is the cooling system holding positive pressure for extended periods?
No smoke from tail pipes, actually everything seems normal, except that it overheats, I fell its building too much pressure, I can't messure it but hoses get really hard. Yesterday I flush the radiator and oil was just a coat on the top of expansion tank, just like if you pour two drops of oil into it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
if your hoses are being heavily pressurised then you have exhaust gases making their way from the combustion chamber into the water jacket.. get her up to operating temperature and see if you can smell any combustion gases in the expansion tank.. i'd be fairly sure it's a head gasket issue however..

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had an overheating problem a while back, and a build up of pressure led to my radiator popping, I changed that, then my expansion tank blew, I changed that. I was told I've probably got a blown head gasket, I went elsewhere to get a second opinion, they said check the thermostat, it turned out the thermostat was nackered. Put a new one in and the problem was solved.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The AA did a roadside test to see if it was my head gasket blown, they said there was gasses in my cooling system. My engine has been running fine since I changed the thermostat. So I'm not sure if his reading was correct. This was nearly a year ago

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well my friend, looks like my thermostat is stuck, this morning In notice that top hose was hot as hell, bottom one cold as my ex girlfriend's heart! that's why the fan doesn't kick in, because coolant sensor says, nice cold wheather! I change the thermostat about 3 months ago, so I had the old one saved, put it back and fan worked this time, it didnt overheat, going to get a new one, doing a test drive tomorro... will update!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Happy days that would certainly explain the build up in pressure.. although I thought thermostats generally failed in the open position? I didn't know it was common for them to jam closed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For what I have read they fail in open position, these cooling systems are a nightmare!, Im driving without a thermostate, I was able to make the fan to kick in, but car still overheats when going uphill, so I unpluged the Coolant sensor, this make my fan to spin like an airplane, but still will overheat, at this point I wish I could have a million dollar an set the car on fire!
Is it posible to have air locked up so much that even bleeding it wont push it out????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts