BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

when i did my oil change i checked the oil prior to changing...and noticed a slight bit of white gunk on the end of the dipstick

i know this can be a sign of head gasket failure...but should i worry about a tiny little bit? or is this maybe a slight bit of water somehow got into the old oil...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much as condensation can form there and cause this mayo-If you are really worried then get a block tester kit-around 40quid and do a test and it'll tell you for sure :thumbsup Still if your car is not overheating,losing coolant,losing oil,smoking like a deisel then unlikely its HG

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey guys,

when i did my oil change i checked the oil prior to changing...and noticed a slight bit of white gunk on the end of the dipstick

i know this can be a sign of head gasket failure...but should i worry about a tiny little bit? or is this maybe a slight bit of water somehow got into the old oil...
I've noticed a bit of "Mayo" on my dipstick and Oil filler cap.... I have only been doing vey short runs on my 318is the last few weeks (so not worried at moment) and had the same problem on my Previous car (2.5 V6 Omega)... Mayo can be a sign of HG Failure but as explained could be to do with short runs and build up of condensation....
:thumbsup:thumbsup

·
Registered
701 Posts
dont worry about it, my z4 has jUst started to show signs of this on the dipstick and the filler cap, its just this time of year, condensation build up, it will dissapear if you give it a good run, or when the weather gets better.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If the engine is N42, mayo on the dipstick is nothing to worry about. The dipstick travels along a long tube with a kink in, that connects to the CCV system. Mayo is normal, as condensation forms very easily.

Just make sure the car isn't loosing a significant amount of coolant.

·
Registered
79 Posts
on my last check, i've a bit of 'mayo' under my oil filler cap. lately i've only being doing very short journeys, and with the colder weather, i assume that's what it'll be.

nothing to worry about i reckon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts