BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
318ci - 2005 M sport Convertible - N42

Hey Guys,

I've got a small leak from the oil filter housing, I know its a common problem with the N42.

My question is can the housing be unbolted whilst the filter and the large plastic dome on top are kept in place?
From what I can see its only a couple of bolts that hold it place.

I had a hell of a time getting the filter off last time so I leave the oil and filter change to the garage now but as its due for a change I'd like to replace the gaskets before hand.

Its this type of filter housing.
I pinched the photo of the same leak as mine from the net.

MTYyODYwX3A=.jpg

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1317837257.342590.jpg

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would take it off if I were you remove the filter suck out the oil in the bottom with a syringe to avoid oil spillage you cod do it without but it wil make hell of a mess.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The oil filter housing is known to leak from two places; it can leak where the housing meets the engine block or it can leak where the filter cap seals.

The photo you've shown is of the cap leaking, which can be fixed by removing it and changing the o-ring, a two minute job with the right tool.

If it's leaking against the block, you need a new oil filter housing gasket, and it's a bit more work to access. You can leave the filter cap in place though, no need to remove it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys,
My plan was to slowly unbolt the filter housing and use a turkey baster to suck up all the surrounding oil until the filter is empty.

That photo was one I found on the net, Ours appears to be leaking from where it meets the block and I think also from the other side ( gasket 5 & 6 on the diagram )
I've got both gaskets but can't see if if 6 is leaking as well until I remove all the engine plastic covers.
It could well be leaking from the O ring as well, I'll take a peek :)

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I'm in the middle of doing this job on my mates e46 318i at the moment. His had a bad leak from the seal between the heat exchanger and the filter housing. I removed the three 10mm bolts that connect the housing to the head of the engine, mopped up the oil spill (had some good rags all around it ready) then unbolted the four T30 bolts that hold the heat exchanger to the filter housing. (With it free from the head the coolant pipes have enough play in them to allow you to access the 4 T30 bolts ;))

Seals were £6 or so each from the dealer, you might as well replace both while you're at it.

Tried ebay for the seals but they are all in the USA etc..

:cool

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brilliant guys, thank you.

That guide is awesome, seems he also kept the filter intact :thumbsup
That's my afternoon sorted for tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Suggest you follow my advice RE: the order of removal, on your engine you won't be able to remove the heat exchanger before removing the filter housing as a unit from the engine (the guide above shows that you can..)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Suggest you follow my advice RE: the order of removal, on your engine you won't be able to remove the heat exchanger before removing the filter housing as a unit from the engine (the guide above shows that you can..)
Thanks for the advice, I'll copy your technique :thumbsup

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had a but of a minor hiccup putting all back together after it all came apart very nicely with virtually no oil spillage.

When refitting the filter housing I noticed it was taking a awful long time to tighten the bolts then one snapped....:mad
Fortunately I managed to get it out with a pair of modified mole grips and ordered 3 more that I'll pick up tomorrow.

I noticed that all of the bolts seem to taper in at the bolt end, are they designed this way to snap on purpose?
I've attached a image of the bolt, all 3 of them are the same.

DSCF2386.jpg

I'll have to invest in a torque wrench tomorrow, does anyone know the correct torque setting or where I can find it?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Common issue, you'll notice that the bolts can actually go all the way through the housing, meaning that if you're stuck you can get a slightly longer bolt and put a nut on the end of it ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your advice and help.

I invested in a 3/8" torque wrench and its all back together and running perfectly with no more leaks.
The leak was coming from the right hand side gasket, completely brittle and flat as a pancake.

Thanks again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts