BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, bit new to this so some help please :)

Got a beautiful 318ci msport 2006 model, but want to give it a bit more kick (couldn't afford the insurance on a 320 or more!)

Mapping is an option but I want that sweet whine that a supercharger knocks out, as it's a 318 (2.0 litre engine) I'm not sure where to begin and how much it's going to cost.

Any information you could give would be great, or any suggestions!

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You are going to be really hard pushed to find a supercharger for a N46 engine, as it's a Valvetronic engine I doubt anyone does one, will probably have to wait and save money for a quicker car :frown

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good question; I'm not telling the insurance bastards! A supercharger is easier to get rid of than changing the whole engine before the insurance co find out (if of course I ever need to claim!)

I'm guessing this isn't a generally talked about subject haha?

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
not really.
i'm no stickler for the rules but i draw the line on people driving while uninsured...which you will be.
hope it never happens,but imagine this...your pootling along the a12 minding your own business...overtaking a polish plated artic when,all of a sudden,he decides he is in the wrong lane...one sideswiped,supercharged bmw driver in hospital...facing a charge,while the lorry driver goes on his merry way to felixstowe and the ferry.
your down a car that you've spent good money on...and through no fault of yours,you have a driving whilst uninsured on your liscence for 5 years...which insurance co isnt gonna ass rape you for that?

·
Registered
77 Posts
lol @ 328mark great reply

true tho u never know whats gonna happen

few weeks ago was driving my 114 cabbie @ 20mph when a vw didnt stop at a junction and ploughed into me at about 60 lol

i went in ambulance and my car was towed by police,called my ins comp and they moved it to their yard same day for inspection

even if i wanted i couldnt have changed a wheel let alone engine parts

Reactions: Luke_318CI

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
lol @ 328mark great reply

true tho u never know whats gonna happen

few weeks ago was driving my 114 cabbie @ 20mph when a vw didnt stop at a junction and ploughed into me at about 60 lol

i went in ambulance and my car was towed by police,called my ins comp and they moved it to their yard same day for inspection

even if i wanted i couldnt have changed a wheel let alone engine parts
Perfect example of why driving with insurance isn't a good idea as you've just posted, also you have a N46 engine not a M44 if it's a 2006 318i. superchargers are generally made by US companies as they are very popular there and the US didn't get the N46 engine hence one of the the difficulties in finding one

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
christ... hope your ok now and sorry to hear about that...

Looks like I'll nip into a breakers yard and see about getting myself a 2.5 lump then, I'll get onto the insurance co's next week and see what they think lol.

Alternatively I could sell Babz (thats her name) and get myself another one... but she's so beautiful!

Cheers for all the help guys, no doubt I'll have more questions soon, if you have any other tips on how to charge her up a bit more let me know please as I've heard chipping is a bit of a gamble, and I'm not a gambler!

BTW 328: love the a12 scenario - i'm from essex origionally so it really hit the spot lol ;)

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
i'm not raining on your parade,but its just not worth it Luke :)
and i saw ipswich and thought a12 lol...you dont need me (an artic driver btw) telling you how dodgy those foreign plated lorries are.
get some more no claims and get a six pot ;)

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
good question; I'm not telling the insurance bastards!
I've heard chipping is a bit of a gamble, and I'm not a gambler
Well there's a contradiction if ever i've seen one!!!

I converted my 318is coupe and modified it heavily and when it's on the road every single mod is declared! Yes' it's bloody expensive but it protects me against morons that drive uninsured and I know i'm protected legally should an event occur that is out of my control.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.