BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my first BMW and for some reason the mpg seems really really poor, I put £20 and got 60miles, is that normal?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for ur reply, I brought the car few days ago, I have bmw invoice saying last serviced 10th September 2014, but no registration on the invoice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry it was not full service, I think the changed oil filter and few other parts, I guess I will need to service it, as 17-19mpg does sound extremely poor

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i mean petrol prices have come down as well, i put £10 to see how many miles i get before i full tank it, and getting 30miles from tenner is quiet poor

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks will try and see, the mpg displayed isn't always correct is it, also do you reckon it can be due to cold weather?

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
my 330ci vert always reads 24.7 mpg fro mixed driving 70% motorway and 30% weekend driving takes £70 to fill that gives me 58 litres approx 13 gallons i get approx 300 miles so a proper brim to brim test of full tank gives me approx 300/13=23mpg to be more exact so the mpg computer on the car is only 1-2 mpg out most i got was 380 miles just doing motorway so 29mpg which is more or less what the figures bmw gives dont forget convertibles are heavier so have worse mpg plus yours is a auto so even worse still on comparison i had a 318ci coupe before the 330ci doing the exact weekly journeys £70 would last me 14 days wheras the 330ci last about 12 days if i dont drive hard it can last 14 days too worked out only appprox £5 more per week to run my 330ci over the 318ci

best thing to do is fill your tank to max reset trip computer and see how many miles you get divide by size of tank should be 13 gallon or maybe more that will give you an accurate reading as your trip computer might be telling lies no point putting £20's in when running bmw's atleast a £40 to get u half a tank i spend more filling in small amounts

also the last month i did a comparison on super unleaded vs unleaded on full tanks there was no difference exactly the same mpg 24.7mpg

my mates e46 352i was drinking loads of fuel under 20's untill he sorted his vacuum leak then it went to 22-24mpg its possible you have a hole in the rubber intake hose maybe

Reactions: nalam

·
Registered
962 Posts
I get better mileage than that from my 330i auto and I drive it pretty much exclusively round town these days.

You certainly have something amiss, as panyo says get it put on diagnostics to see if anything's at fault, then give it a good service.

Best to brim the tank and set the odometer too, to give the best idea of the mileage it's doing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the advice guys, I just realized that one of my tyre is a low profile tyre and the rest 3 are normal, but I wouldn't think that would be a reason for low mpg.
I will send it in for a service and see if it makes a difference. my friend drives 51plate 528i.auto, petrol and he gets similar to what I am getting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts