BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, ive just purchased a rceland coilover kit and after i fitted the kit there is a knocking sound at the rear, i used the old bump stops, as none were supplied with the kit, but they are very worn. could this be the cause of the problem?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I wouldn't think that they would cause the problem, I had remove bumpstops from previous cars before to make them very low!

Raceland.... Is that the kit from eBay - about £200-£300 worth?

Is everything tight?

Mike

·
Registered
459 Posts
I would be really careful with cheap coilover kits, I have heard no end of problems with them (I am in the tuning trade but for VAG, so I hear a fair bit)

Only started knocking after the kit was fitted? How much did you drop it?

Erm, shame you are in Newcastle mate otherwise I would be happy to take a look and see!

Reactions: 4ndy69

·
Registered
91 Posts
Might be cv joints if its rear,
lowering will make the the drive shafts work at an angle rather than being horizontal.

Does it do it all the time on a flat road, as you go over speed bumps? over hills in the road?

Could also be a bush giving up?

·
Registered
459 Posts

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
My car is very very low and I have never experienced any problems:thumbsup

I used the H&R coilover kit (Binned the rear adjusters and have a stack of ICE install in the boot) and I have Powerflex Polyurethane bushes all around.

It does sound bush related, what condition were the Rear shock Mounts in? These should've been replaced when doing the swap as they are prone to going.

Also, may I ask how long you have had the kit fitted?

The E46 suffers with the floor tearing under the diff housing mounting points:eek Most definitely worth checking for:thumbsup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.