BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all what does the r/t button on the steering wheel do? i press it hold it etc... doesnt seem to do anything at all?

is it supposed to do something? if so n mine doesnt doe that mean somethings wrong?

also... a red seat belt light comes on when i turn on the ignition? n then goes off 2-3 secs later without doing anything is this just a reminder to put my seatbelt on? or should it stay on until i put my seatbelt on?

·
Registered
211 Posts
hi all what does the r/t button on the steering wheel do? i press it hold it etc... doesnt seem to do anything at all?
I believe that this button by default toggles between the telephone function and radio mode. Not sure what it does when you dont have telephone installed. Many people have reprogrammed this button for other useful functions for retrofits etc.

also... a red seat belt light comes on when i turn on the ignition? n then goes off 2-3 secs later without doing anything is this just a reminder to put my seatbelt on? or should it stay on until i put my seatbelt on?
That light is a check control light that should come on at start up and then go off after a couple of seconds as is happing on your car. On my convertible, it flashes on when my front seats are folded forward, so I assumed it was a reminder that the seat is unlocked.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you do not have the telephone/bluetooth option fitted, the R/T button, along with the little voice button will not do anything. I havn't heard of people reprogramming them though, I would like to see what they can do with it. Might have a dabble myself if it is easy enough.

·
Registered
880 Posts
All the keys on the MFL send iBus messages throughout the car. All but the R/T key send Down, Hold and Up messages, the R/T key just sends a Down message.

It's not possible to reprogram the function of any of the keys using just original equipment. However you can use the iBus messages to trigger actions when using 3rd party devices designed for the BMW iBus, for example car PC's and various other interfaces.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts