BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i bought a e46 316 1.8 with the n42b18 engine i am having a few issues with the car since buying it

1, inlet crankshaft bank 1 adaption is stuck fast at !120 doesnt move at all bank 2 has no reading whats so ever included pictures as reference

the car blows white smoke little bit of cream in the dipstick but none in the filler coolant does drain after a few days have had a leak test done all clear i changed all temp switches monitored on the inpa and only goes to 107.25 c the fan will kick on when the outlet temp goes to 80c not sure if that is a problem i will be changing water pump for peace of mind and thermostat as the car has done 92k and all of the sensors are stamp with bmw

moving on to a big problem is when at 1 to 2k the car bogs down has almost no power then picks its self up again i dont know what this could be but its not very safe driving around

and the car vivbrates at 3rd and 4th gears badly almost like the same sound as a wheel baring out but its not there has been a slight clutchy smell after engaging cruise control

and the cat smelt of eggs for about 3 mins earlier on a drive and then no smell

so the things i am going to do is compression test to see what is going on with the cylinders the car shows no faults at all !

another leak test with a different kit just for a second opinion

an inspection of the timing chain and guides as i know these can get brittle over time (car sounds like a diesel when first started)

a camshaft and crankshaft sensor replacement

possibly fit a new dualmass and clutch (depending if head is ok)

and one more thing to ask when using inpa this car has vanos but it doesnt allow the option or even show the option for it in the program i am using bmtools 5.0.6

tryed flashing ecu to new software but winftp doesnt find 7508292 dme so lost there dont know what to do other thank the above am i missing something or does anyone know of these issues

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Capturefijf.jpg

·
Super Moderator
12,935 Posts
My advice get rid of it cos it will empty your wallet, they are a total mare when they have been serviced badly and abused in the past yours sadly is exhibiting all of those things especially the rattle...

FWIW the figures above are IIRC normal it does go full scale on the inlet GUI...long as it aint throwing any sort od vanos or cam position codes then it shouldl be ok..

Drive it with MAF unplugged see if the bogging clears and or disable the Valvetronic and try it aswell it will run via the throttle plate on predefined simple fuel map within the ECU ignoring sensor data etc..

·
Registered
376 Posts
Regarding bogging down, is it okay if you accelerate slowly or downhill with little load on the engine? I had a similar issue and it was simply a bad coil pack.

As for sounding like a diesel, you again appear to have a problem I have. It's the Aisin Exhaust Cam Adjuster.

Why are you looking to replace stuff which is OK ? The Crank Sensor is a bitch of a job to do.

Be aware that many issues like coil packs or faulty crank sensor can throw errors for the cam sensors. A faulty crank sensor is likely to just halt the car completely. However, it never seems to throw a case itself - just throw other components to adapt which they in turn then throw errors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i am going to do a compression test on this car because i am now starting to lose coolant and its blowing a lot more white smoke than usual.
believe it or not the car has a lot of main dealership history with new coilpacks ect being replaced.

i do believe the timing chain is a little suspect due to the rattle noise but i am going to investigate it that soon. I am thinking of a m54 engine swop but heard ecus and plugs can be a bitch pulling the engine is pritty easy
in my opinion the hardest thing is buying a good second hand engine. I take it the exaust adjuster is the vanos gears ect

i fear the head and the timing chain is going and even if you were to buy a car of this mileage you have to be prepared to change atleast those 2 things but that being said you are right a money pit and a half repairs if my diagnosis's
are correct are in excess of £1000 i payed 600 for the car.

i cant help but feel this car has had its day and maybe someone looking for a half decent shell for a track car might benifit from it i do believe the clutch is on its way out to so this car has probs been abused on roundabouts than
looked after.

i have heard another horror story about these engines when the headgaskets go the cylinder head are pretty much toast and need a new one is this true or just one of them fairy tales i have never heard of it from another car get it skimmed and shes good to go?

i will keep you guys posted thank you for taking the time to give me advice much appreciated guys :D

and a garage quoted me 2500 for a head change lol good job i am a diy kind of guy other wise this thing would be in the scrap yard lol

and the compression results are in 1 2 and 3 cylinder 170 psi cylinder 4 152 ish psi what are your thoughts on that result ?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Regarding the rattle, I have the same issue but I now believe it to be the Exhaust Cam Adjuster will need replacement.

Make sure the newer Timing Chain tensioner is installed.

It may be worth buying a spare head on eBay and doing it up fully on a bench and then swapping it over. It would allow you to replace valve stems, intermediate lifters, the exhaust cam adjuster and whatever else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thought i would update you guys the bmw is not very well turns out chain guide has snapped in 2 places got the kit and the tools but cant find the replacement vanos bolts does anyone the part number??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts