BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I bought my 2002 E46 compact 318ti in March and so far all I've had is problems after problems with it.

To start it sounds like a diesel with its tappety engine and rattles and after trailing through the different forums it seems this is common and characteristic of the N42 engine.

Anyway straight to the point - my clutch went so I had to get a new clutch and dual mass flywheel fitted.

whilst it was in the garage I thought might as well get it fully serviced as well i.e. oil,fuel filter etc..

then I had to change the cat and the middle section as it was blowing.

Now I never had this problem at all before the clutch went and the car got serviced but when i'm idling at the lights and i press gas to drive off its like the car is choking like not enough petrol getting to it and the revs kind flicker to the point that it drops so low that the car stalls. Even when its doing it and I press full gas and pump the pedal it doesn't make a difference and the revs struggle to pick up - say between 500 - 600.

I've just changed both cam sensors and still same issue.

Help please as its really really done my head :mad for the past 4 days been at the garage trying to identify what could be causing it cos it happens even with the mechanic when we took it for a test drive. Its quite intermittent though.

its throwing oxygen sensor bank 2 code on the diagnostics.

any help will be really appreciated and I hope i've posted this in the correct forum.

Cheers dudes!

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
could be airleaks on the engine depending on the sensor code but the hose over the engine is notorious for collapsing and going flat causing engine breather issues...

its a shit engine by the way troubled with multiple issues if not maintained properly...

unplug the MAF and see if the fault dissapears or it improves the erratic idle/running, it will rule in or rule out or rule in a dodgy maf or airleaks ..

if its rattling it will prolly jump the timing on the chain eventually on the cams and it can cause catostrophic damage...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply dailydoggy...

The code it showed was p0160 and we checked all the hoses and cleaned the throttle body as well.

Its pretty dangerous and scary driving with the car like that especially at roundabouts when u need to pull out fast and the car isn't going anywhere..

I'll give it a go with the MAF test and see how it goes.

I'm concerned now in regards to the last bit you wrote cos I had the noise down to vanos issue.

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
a sticking vanos (common on n42 engine) especially exhaust vanos can also cause the chain to run slack on 1 side which invokes it to try jump the timing eventually, the whole timng chain tensioner system is wank on the n42 engine aswell tho the banana chain guide wears and shatters and the tensioners wear out aswell...

if it runs ok maf unplugged its prolly air leaks or iffy maf

if it runs the same after above unplug the valvetronic motor instead (it will revert to the normal throttle plate if it sees valvetronic failure) if it runs better then its the valvetronic goosed...you can drive it around like this but it wont be as efficient or economical as before it will drive more like the m43 engine powerwise and fuel consumption...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK I unplugged the maf yesterday and been driving the the car all day and its been running fine as it should be.

Now to determine whether its the maf or like air leaks as you stated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts