BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone shed some light on the BMW's Dynamic stability Control usage? Basically I have found that it does not aid when it should - when the car is about to loose traction on yawing. Do you have to keep the accelerator pressed for it to work i.e. to cut power from excess power by the driver, or does it brake individual wheels even without the driver using the gas when the car looses stability?

Thanks.

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
good question(s)!
for me it cuts the power to the back wheels as soon as the back end steps out (or even from a spirited standing start)
I see the yellow light flash on the dash
I instictively lift my foot off the gas and gently go back on it.

It defo works in time for me

Thinking about it, it cuts power to both wheels with or without you pressing the gas. Red :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that's the thing - I believe it's important how devices like these actually work, and what the driver needs to do in an emergency i.e. some drivers that know very little in how to correct a skid or how to aim the wheel when such things happen might do the opposite of that - say slamming on the brake? Now speaking to BMW, with car that have DSC u don't turn into the skid but to aim the wheel in which the car needs to travel and the car does the rest - now at this juncture - do you trust machine or the instinct of such intervention via human input to advert such situations?

Ok - back on topic, does DSC not help if no gas is applied, and if so - how to u use it in conjunction with DSC? I ask this cos of the slippery weather we're having - like what Deano is saying I can't really see the orange triangle flashing until I apply the throttle...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exactly Deano! So really when do you know the tolerence of the DSC, and if one overcomes it - when does the driver actually step in?

·
Registered
23 Posts
To my knowledge the DSC system takes into account the steering wheel position when trying to save your arse, so if you steer into the slide then the electronics will assume you actually want to be going in that direction! From my experience its a matter of quickly getting stability in the slide and then then steering where you plan to go - more of a rapid wobble of the wheel to catch it.

The DSC can also control slides on and off throttle and can control each brake independantly to counter-act any rotation or loss of traction.

There's some great videos on you tube showing how effective this system is - I really need to put more faith in it when the roads dry up I think! ;)

My suggestion would be to book a track day or airfield day and find out for yourself in a safe environment! :D

Rich

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
My suggestion would be to book a track day or airfield day and find out for yourself in a safe environment! :D

Rich
Excellent idea! Was someone not looking into that a while back? A friend of a friend or something could book an airfield strip and we coould all meet and drag race???

Along with some burds of course! Red :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts