BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. Can anyone tell me the original equipment manufacturer for the pre CAT Lambda Sensors on my E46 2002 316iSE 1.9. BMW dealer is quoting me £155 ex VAT just for the part and I'm sure I can get it a lot cheaper than that, and it looks like an easy DIY job!!

Also any recommendations on what/where to buy a replacement?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hello folks. Can anyone tell me the original equipment manufacturer for the pre CAT Lambda Sensors on my E46 2002 316iSE 1.9. BMW dealer is quoting me £155 ex VAT just for the part and I'm sure I can get it a lot cheaper than that, and it looks like an easy DIY job!!

Also any recommendations on what/where to buy a replacement?

Cheers

Hi mate,

OEM units are Bosch..........give your local all-parts a call, they do the OEM bosch units at a much cheaper price than the dealers, ECP and GSF- for example, we replaced 2 Bosch units for a customers M3 for £54 each, ECP wanted £85 each...........both units were Bosch and the same part numbers......but a big difference in price.

You could use a brand called Walker from ECP- they are a direct replacement but are not OE but are much cheaper.......but someone in the know said that these walker sensors roll-off the same production line as NGK o2 sensors!!

personally, when it comes to O2 sensors I would go with the Bosch units, come to think of it ---i replaced the precat sensor on my wifes E46 318 last month and it cost me around 60 squids AND it was a Bosch OE unit........take a trip down AllParts mate;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi mate,

OEM units are Bosch..........give your local all-parts a call, they do the OEM bosch units at a much cheaper price than the dealers, ECP and GSF- for example, we replaced 2 Bosch units for a customers M3 for £54 each, ECP wanted £85 each...........both units were Bosch and the same part numbers......but a big difference in price.

You could use a brand called Walker from ECP- they are a direct replacement but are not OE but are much cheaper.......but someone in the know said that these walker sensors roll-off the same production line as NGK o2 sensors!!

personally, when it comes to O2 sensors I would go with the Bosch units, come to think of it ---i replaced the precat sensor on my wifes E46 318 last month and it cost me around 60 squids AND it was a Bosch OE unit........take a trip down AllParts mate;)
Thanks for the info Ray. Changing the sensor looks easy but is it easy enough to plug in the new sensor from underneath the car? I have yet to locate where it connects to the wiring loom.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Thanks for the info Ray. Changing the sensor looks easy but is it easy enough to plug in the new sensor from underneath the car? I have yet to locate where it connects to the wiring loom.
Really easy mate.........when u have it jacked-up, you'll see where the connection is- it will be a circular connector- not an issue at all.

u may find it difficult to unscrew the old sensor from the exhaust........they do seize in there sometimes..........try it any way u may be lucky, if not then u may need an o2 senosr socket with a big ass breaker bar......or you could try 2 spanners doubled-up..........but don't worry about it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Ray. You mention earlier in the thread 'All Parts'? You don't happen to have a web link for their site do you because I couldn't find them when I Googled it.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Thanks Ray. You mention earlier in the thread 'All Parts'? You don't happen to have a web link for their site do you because I couldn't find them when I Googled it.

Cheers

Sorry mate, don't have a weblink at the mo but give this number a call- its one of their branches in Berks- they will put you onto the one nearest to you.

01753 215080

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to update, managed to get a direct fit NGK/NTK sensor from GSF in Belfast for £46 which I thought was pretty reasonable. Would have preferred Bosch but NGK/NTK is well known anyway so went for it. Anyone had/heard of any problems with NGK/NTK?

Just need to fit it now!!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Just to update, managed to get a direct fit NGK/NTK sensor from GSF in Belfast for £46 which I thought was pretty reasonable. Would have preferred Bosch but NGK/NTK is well known anyway so went for it. Anyone had/heard of any problems with NGK/NTK?

Just need to fit it now!!
Nah, as Ronnie said- NGK are a very good make and are OE on other manufacturers........we have used them in the past with no probs at all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
NTK is NGK's lambda sensor brand and are good quality, I've been in the trade for nearly 20 years selling both Bosch and NGK and have no reservations recommending either brand:thumbsup

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all.

Am gonna fit this today which should be easy enough. Am I right that I need to erase the Adaptations once I have changed the sensor? I'm sure I read that somewhere because the car will probably be running on different settings due to the faulty Lambda? I have got Carsoft so can do it if it is needed.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Thanks all.

Am gonna fit this today which should be easy enough. Am I right that I need to erase the Adaptations once I have changed the sensor? I'm sure I read that somewhere because the car will probably be running on different settings due to the faulty Lambda? I have got Carsoft so can do it if it is needed.

If you have the carsoft system then I would just replace the sensor and clear ant fault codes that are stored in the ECU. And away you go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well great news the job is done and new pre CAT Lambda in place!! Must have been the easiest job I've ever done on a car and the old one came off dead easy with a long handled 22mm spanner, much to my delight. Just need to get it on the laptop to clear the error codes and that's it sorted.

Not sure if it is just my perception or imagination but it definitely feels smoother and a bit more pokey and let's hope the MPG goes up a bit aswell!!

Thanks to all of you who gave some great advice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.