BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys as above, a very good friend of mine is looking for ideas as a project and his ultimate project would be an E39 touring with full M5 running gear so any suggestions as to where he could find a fubarred M5 with good running gear?

Cheers :thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So do Quarry Motors take in full scrappers?

My firend is going to join and so I guess he'll explain exactly what he wants to do but the idea I think is a sleeper 5 series touring but with all the gear underneath, he's a bit weird, the biggest guy I've ever seen drive a tiny CRX - and he's got a Smart car the nutter...

This project could be very exciting, I've offered to go halves with him but we'd probably argue over who drives it :rofl

·
Bfuk Legend
5,675 Posts
So do Quarry Motors take in full scrappers?

My firend is going to join and so I guess he'll explain exactly what he wants to do but the idea I think is a sleeper 5 series touring but with all the gear underneath, he's a bit weird, the biggest guy I've ever seen drive a tiny CRX - and he's got a Smart car the nutter...

This project could be very exciting, I've offered to go halves with him but we'd probably argue over who drives it :rofl
scrap e39 M5 will be big money as they are worth shit loads in parts lewy, i would say it would be cheaper to find a complete car, but be carefull mate, it could well bite your mate in the arse big time if its cheap, make sure you have the engine checked:thumbsup:thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers Raffa, makes sense when you think about it :thumbsup

Sadly he's moving house the weekend of the Midlands meet otherwise I'd have brought him along to pick your brains! Maybe that's a good thing mate :hihi

·
Registered
701 Posts
I know Quarry have an M5 in at the momment but it's missing a few bits i had off it last week :hihi

Buying the bits will cost an insane amount, as suggested might be cheaper to find a bad condition m5 (a rusty one etc) and strip it down.

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
I too was wondering why he doesn't just buy an E39 M5 Touring - Ok there ain't many around, but probably as many as there are scrapped M5 E39s!!

Why not suggest he gets a 540 Tourer and do something spectactular with the engine? There must be something that will close the gap between 282 and 400 bhp if he has serious money?

·
Registered
701 Posts
There's two M5 tourers one in the museum in Munich (im going there soon too!) and there was one more made for one of the big wigs of BMW, but what happened to it is an unknown.

Ive read on American forums about guys supercharging the 540's and stuff making them ever so slightly more powerfull than the M5.

If it was me id build the the m5 touring, only a few people in the world have done it, bit of an exclusive club.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
In theory (and this is off the top of my head) if you were to do everything yourself apart from painting.

You could buy a tatty e39 M5 for around £6.5k, maybe something like a catagory car or one with generally poor bodywork etc, basically the most mechanically sorted one you can find.
You could then buy pretty much any e39 touring as everything will be swapped over anyway. So look at around £2k for one with a nice body but poor spec etc.

That's £8.5k plus say £2k for service items you'd replace during the swap and bodywork to fit & paint the M5 bumpers etc. So now £10.5k
Sell the parts you don't need, so interior and engine from the touring and some panels from the M5, could probably recoup about £800 which brings the spend to £9.7k, round it up to £10k.

I doubt any breaker would be prepared to sell a complete damaged car as they know they'll get more for it in parts. IF they did sell a damaged one it would probably be for a silly amount that you really shouldn't pay.

Reactions: Lewy_T

·
Registered
701 Posts
If possible i would buy a V8 540 - as this means you wont have to alter the steering rack (it's different on the V engines than the straight six) same for the front suspension and several bits around the engine bay will be in the correct position for a v8 engine.

·
Registered
701 Posts
same gearbox too so realistically you'd just need engine, brakes suspension etc.
front and rear bumpers, wing mirrors, interior mirror, rain sensor, xenon lights, custom made quad exhaust system, alloys, brake calipers/discs/hub bearings, LSD diff and matching prop shaft, anti roll bars, boot lip, arch liners, interior leather, dashboard, intensive wash system....

AND all the matching control modules, wiring looms that might not be fitted, and recoding of several things like the speedo.

:thumbsup

·
Registered
701 Posts
In a sense yes, but on a saloon. When i bought the car it was half done, i've since done the rest of the leg work on the cosmetics adding the M5 folding mirrors and little bits like the ducts, it already had the bumpers etc fitted. changing the suspension etc, the only things left to do are an engine/gearbox

But i really really want to put a V10 in it.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I'd start with a manual 540i touring as a base, V8 already, so the loom would be reasonably similar to the M5.

They made an E34 M5 Touring, and the E61, but sadly not the E39.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts