BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 E39 Touring. Recently discovered a fairly substantial fuel leak. Car was tipped a bit to the right and after further inspection the fuel seemed to be dripping down the inside of the righthand tank and the following the strap over before dripping to the ground (in front of right rear tire). This was just after filling the tank. The leaking pretty much stopped when I leveled the car and didn't appear at all when I drove some of the fuel out. Could the problem be the seal on for the fuel pump? I can think of no other place where so much fuel could exit the tank. I did some searching and it seems the access to the pump is underneath the rear seat but I couldn't find the location info specifically for the touring. Just wanted to check in here first to see if anyone else has a help to share.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thinking about this further I don't guess it could be the fuel pump location. Would it be possible for the fuel to back out of the vent hose location? That would not be good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The leak was found from the fuel pump sender unit located underneath the passenger side back seat. Repair took 20 minutes. Stress factor figuring it all out off the scale. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts