BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
So, i got 2003 E39, 530d touring, automatic.

I noticed a diesel leak and after little investigation, it turned out my fuel pump (the one under the car, under drivers seat) had a crack on it, for some god knows what reason...

So i changed it, got the spare part from the same engine car (142kw 530d touring).
After the install i tested it first time, car turned up nicely, with no cranking or what-so-ever, as it always does. Basically from the first turn.
Then after some time i started it again and drove home, for about 20km´s. No problems starting the car.

But after i reached home and wanted to go for another ride, the car refuses to start.
It doesent even promise, it just cranks it and nothing at all.

My car NEVER has had ANY problems starting up, it always goes from the first jump.

What the hell might be going on ? How come it started and ran nicely for 2 starts after the new pump install and the it refuses to start at all for the 3rd time. What happened ??

Any ideas ?
Thank you very much.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Maybe the new pump doesn’t work - but initially the in tank pump moved enough fuel to run the engine. Or maybe the new (2nd hand?) pump just died.
With the key at the run position you should see fuel flowing through the clear fuel line at the top of the engine bybthe battery post.
If no fuel flowing, there’s a fuel pump problem.
INPA etc can also show you the fuel pressure at the various stages in the fuel supply

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh, turned out it was the "new used" pump itself..
It just stopped working.
If i put back my old cracked pump, my car starts up perfectly, no problems or what so ever (except the massive diesel leak :D ).

But yeah, the new pump i bought worked for 2 starts, then it broke down...

Is there anything i need to look out for for buying a new pump ?
I heard that pumps after 2001 are different ? They look the same, but yet different ? Maybe that was the problem with my new pump..

What kind of pump do i EXACTLY need, for my 2003 530d automatic touring ?
Thank you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VDO make the original fuel pump, i would get OEM if possible where you are, Finland?

BMW part number is 16141183178

this is the UK link for info: NEW GENUINE VDO 405-052-005-001Z FUEL PUMP - BMW WHOLESALE PRICE SALE | eBay
Im not that sure about it....
This is the one i have right now.

MSo it´s more like this one..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/02P013-Pompa-Elettrica-Esterna-BMW-SERIE-5-E39-525-530d-Berlina-touring-98-04-/263136711170?hash=item3d442b9202:g:sncAAOSwmLlX~nuE&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I think you will find that the "pump" you are referring to is not a pump at all - it is the fuel filter. There is an electrical connection, but that is for the fuel preheater in winter.

The car has the pump in the fuel tank, which feeds the high pressure pump on the engine near the oil filter

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think you will find that the "pump" you are referring to is not a pump at all - it is the fuel filter. There is an electrical connection, but that is for the fuel preheater in winter.

The car has the pump in the fuel tank, which feeds the high pressure pump on the engine near the oil filter
No, it is a pump. There’s a lift pump in the tank, this pump under the floor and then the engine driven HP pump.
The filter with the heater is in the engine bay on the inlet side.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, thanks for the info.
For a little update:
The first pump i bought was some sort of used polish aftermarket copy. So obviously it only worked for 2 starts and that´s it.
So i asked my money back and then bought an original BMW spare part, works like a charm now :)

Which actually didnt turn out so good, since couple of days after, it started to snow and while i was drifting around (obviously, cmon, first snow of the year! :D ) i slammed a traffic light post and smashed both doors on the passenger side + the rocker panel :D
Oh well, already got the spare parts, waiting for my day off now... :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts