BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and hopefully I’m not asking about something that’s already been done to death.
I have a 1999 530d that’s been running a bit cool. After bit of research a common thread seemed to be the egr thermostat might have failed and stuck open. So I ordered a new one and went to fit it this morning, only when I stripped the engine covers off mine there was no sign of it. I’m not sure if it’s been removed, is in another location or never had one in the first place. The pic below show where I think it should be but if anyone can enlighten me I’d be very grateful.
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Super Moderator
3,827 Posts
EGR cooler and thermostat came to M57 engines 3/2000 on and only on models with auto gearbox. So it's the same as with intake manifold swirl flaps. Pre 3/2000 models and all with manual gearbox don't have these.

If the engine is running cool change the main thermostat. And I would advise to get original BMW part.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EGR cooler and thermostat came to M57 engines 3/2000 on and only on models with auto gearbox. So it's the same as with intake manifold swirl flaps. Pre 3/2000 models and all with manual gearbox don't have these.

If the engine is running cool change the main thermostat. And I would advise to get original BMW part.

hi Clavurion

thanks for solving that little mystery for me, strange though that when asked, bmw comes up with the part for me based on my vehicle reg.
Much appreciated. 👍

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
My 2002 m57 doesn't have one as well and i think it is the same engine as yours.
As said get a good main stat i fitted a Mahle one 4 years ago and not a problem with it.

·
Registered
'04 330d Sport Auto, '99 523i SE Saloon
810 Posts
By far the most awkward bit of the job is getting the viscous fan and shroud off/back on. Beyond that, changing the stat its self is pretty easy. I did both mine last year. Car was struggling to hit 30mpg before, now doing around 36 avg. Just make sure to be thorough with the bleeding process afterwards to fully eliminate any airlocks as they can cause havoc otherwise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks Niall
That’s what I found and I’m now waiting for the special tools to arrive so I can get fan off. I wasn’t aware you had to bleed the cooling system though, thanks for the tip.
shame the thermostat isn’t the five minute job it used to be on cars I used to drive in the eighties.
ps do you know of a guide to bleeding the system on here.
cheers. 👍

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
my e90 330d,wen i got new stats,,the main was is bolted to waterpump,,one of the bolts sheared in the waterpump,new warepump as i didnt know wen it had been done anyhow,so watch out for bolts if the same set up

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my e90 330d,wen i got new stats,,the main was is bolted to waterpump,,one of the bolts sheared in the waterpump,new warepump as i didnt know wen it had been done anyhow,so watch out for bolts if the same set up
Cheers Rasa I’ll take extra care when undoing the bolts as that’s just the kind of thing that happens to me when tackling what should be a fairly simple job. Before I do anything though I’m going check the system for airlocks following a tip-off from Niall above. Should have been the first thing I looked at really. 🤔

·
Registered
'04 330d Sport Auto, '99 523i SE Saloon
810 Posts
Have you looked on YouTube? I expect there will be a video guide for this exact proceedure on the M47/57 engines, including the bleeding process. Should tell you all you need to know in detail.
Yours is the easier of the two thanks to not having all the EGR cooler plumbing to mess around with and the second thermostat to have to change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.