BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I was wondering if anybody can help?
I'm after buying some of these, my lights are hella pre facelift projectors with hb4 dipped beam bulbs

Currently i have these fitted and will not work with HIDS
Auto part Metal

Any help is much appreciated.

Andy

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a headlight projector cut off shield, used to create the beam pattern projected, located between the projector and the bulb.
The first picture has a different cut off pattern if you look at them it's quite obvious. I want to lose the high kick up of light.
I think the cut off shield in the first pic is from a xenon pre facelift light and the second pic is from a halogen pre facelift light.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Are your lights with or without the halo rings? I've got 3 E39s one of which I've fully converted to LED and the other I'm halfway through. The 535i is "pre-halos" and the 530i has them. I've done both the mains and dips with LEDs on the 535i. The 530i touring I've only done the dips so far but the mains will follow.

The 535i was easier since it uses HB3 and HB4 fittings. The 530 uses H7 bulbs sitting in a Hella "own brand" adapter so its not been straightforward getting direct drop-in bulbs. By the sound of it you've got a setup like the 535i. Would I be correct in this assumption?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not have halo rings fitted from manufacturer.
They are prefacelift with the standard factory headlight projector and glass lenses in the front panel of the headlight.
I just want to improve the beam pattern and not have the high kick up of light I will post pictures tomorrow so you can see what I mean.
Anyone that has modded the headlight projector in anyway will know what I'm trying to do, alot of people retrofit the fxr bi xenon projector onto the inner frame of e39 headlights.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Understood. I went the LED route. The lamps I used have meant no changes required to the lens or housing setup. They just plug straight in. I'd put them on a par with the xenons I had on my 525i any day of the week. With the main beams on I'd say it was better. Combined lumen count from all 4 lamps is 19200 and I've go no loss of focus.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd be interested in seeing your results with led bulbs, as in what your low beams look like at night with the beam pattern and light output and then with your main beams on?
Have you any pictures of this and what the bulbs look like?

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
He He. And I'm turning into an ad agency for Neverland. Still, they have a good product. I've only bought 4 sets of them so far.

Low beams are in the pic in post 4 above. High beams are here....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Pqm7oEcUniMHhWLVpFQmF0TVU/view?usp=sharing

Phone camera doesn't do justice to quite how much light they put out. So far I've never had anyone flash me because they are being dazzled and as far as I can see the dispersal on low beams is very similar to stock except ground coverage is better.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi everyone,

Firstly I'm not a major fan of the facelift lights plus this cost me very little with just new adjusters (fitted last year), the ring kit also last year and a small sheet of aluminium 250mm x 500mm all for about 30 squid.

Thought I'd update and show pictures of what I've modded to make it all a nice fit and keep the standard wiring with the rings. Rings are fitted to the outside of the glass otherwise they are not crisp enough, support bracket between each ring has been removed and on the rear of the rings there was plastic/metal clamps to hold the ring together, these have all been cut and modded so the ring can be fitted dead flush on the glass, can't see how the rings are fitted at all from the outside.

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Car Automotive lighting

Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Auto part Vehicle

Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Auto part Bumper

Next was some sort of projector shroud so the low beam ring can be seen perfect when the lights are on, also cover the side light hole and make 2 identical cutoff shields. I would prefer 2 originals as in post #1, but the 2 I made match perfect, (very difficult to keep the cutoff perfectly even and flat with a fine file and go slow, very good results can be acheived).

Auto part Automotive lighting Headlamp Wheel

Motor vehicle Auto part Vehicle Engine Car

Hand Small appliance

Light Automotive lighting Auto part Headlamp Technology

It fits the housing perfect, does not rub on anything throughout any adjustment at any point.

Bumper Auto part

Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Auto part Automotive fog light

Also still working is the adjuster to flatten the beam pattern if I drive abroad, with a little modding and a grommit it works and doesn't leak any light out.

Finger Hand

Here it is finshed and I can say the beam pattern projected is perfect and just like any other xenon, if I was super fussy it needs auto leveling for the perfect setup and to be legal :rofl

Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Vehicle Auto part

Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Auto part Vehicle

Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Lighting Auto part

Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Lighting Auto part

I hope these picture uploads work as it took me a while to sort this haha,

Hope it helps someone out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.