BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. About a week ago the engine started to squeal and has gradually began to get louder. It increases with revs like it would do on a fan belt however am I right in assuming there is no belt?

Does anyone have any ideas of what this problem may be.

Also losing water a bit each day. Could it possibly be water pump?

Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
I used to have a Vectra a few years back and it started squealing, I thought it was just a slipping belt - it turned out the water pump was destroying itself and eventually it seized snapping the cam belt. My advice is to get it checked as I was lucky mine snapped when the car was idling at a set of lights and didnt cause any other damage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys. About a week ago the engine started to squeal and has gradually began to get louder. It increases with revs like it would do on a fan belt however am I right in assuming there is no belt?

Does anyone have any ideas of what this problem may be.

Also losing water a bit each day. Could it possibly be water pump?

Thanks
What make you think there is no belt on YOUR CAR? :hihi
Belt tensioner is usually the case or deflection pulley, otherwise could be the bearings in the water pump. Check around the expansion tank for leaks, as they have been known to have hairline cracks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. do you know where I could get any info on doing it myself such as a service manual. I want to change the chain and tensioners anyway so might aswell do the pump. Its the m62tub engine I think. I did see a link ages ago from bentley I think bout bmw engines. anyone got it to hand?

I thought the fan was viscous which didn't involve a chain/belt?? It's only started happening sine the bad weather so hopefully just a belt slippage!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok that sounds good. What a sigh of relief haha. Trying to find some information on the net. Have you guys got any links I can check out?? I just assumed it ran of the timing chain. There is a slight rattle that has only come about lately but I'm just hoping that is a tensioner which I heard shouldn't be too hard to tackle.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.