Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys,

in my 530d at the i have the following stereo set up:

business

and i've just managed to buy on ebay

business mid

both are 17 pin round connectors. is it just plug and play? do i need it coded etc?

sorry if its a silly question but i am a complete ICE novice and wouldnt have a clue.

TIA

·
Registered
14 Posts
Deano,
the link goes to my original post - now updated -

I cant advise exactly, but there must be an adapter..(like mine) from business std to Dusiness MID..

have you looked at realoem.com - audio - 65 retrofittings - CONVERSION, REVERSE TO BUSINESS WITH MID

it will show the adapter you need to then discuss with your loacl BMW dealer..?
I had a quick look..it could poss be - I think you need same part as I did..

MID control panel, operating
instructions, radio adapter lead 65 12
9 405 409
additionally required on
vehicles without MID
Important:
The installation instructions are
not included in the retrofit kit.
Print out the latest installation
instructions from the Aftersales
Assistance Portal (ASAP)
and issue to the customer.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Right I've looked into this a bit more, the CD player plugs straight in and will work straight away, the MID will need the wiring adaptor and it has to be wired into the cars main wiring junction box just behind the ECU and the fusebox behind the glovebox.

The harness has banks of identical wires that need to be connected into the corresponding wires.

Newer e39's from 2000 onwards(facelift) have flat pin stereo connectors on the audio connections compared to round pin for the early ones. The dealer does do a conversion adaptor for around £40 but you can get them cheaper off Ebay.

And I'm not sure on the coding now, it appears you don't, if I find anything more I will post up.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cheers mate, the one ive bought is from a pre facelift car and is still a tape player so should plug and play. I'll get the MID wiring adaptror in the week.
the wiring into the ECU and fusebox, is that just for the BC functions? Will the radio functions work on it without doing that as i really dont trust myself doing that at all.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well ive bought the adaptor as i thought i might as well give it a go. i picked all the bits up at a good price so i can always sell them on and not lose any money.

Got the adaptor and it makes absolutely no sense to me, i'm hoping when i take the glove box out it'll be more understandable but all the X**** numbers mean nothing to me at the moment :confused

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
fitetd the wiring harness/adaptor-what an absolute bitch. you need hands like a 5 year old!!lots of swearing later and i got it all wired up put everything back, reconnected the battery, ignition on and................

sound but no display and then the sound turned off after 10 secs-B******S!!!!!

does that mean it needs coding? i'm a bit concerned about there being no display though if there was sound?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.