BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

I am new to the ownership of and e39 as I have most indulged in e46s, However, I recently purchased a 530d with a 5-speed automatic box. Unfortunately after getting the car and starting the 200 odd mile trip home the I set in drive mode but would not change gear properly then I would put it in manual mode and you could faintly feel it change gear but the revs took ages to climb and it would only achieve a top speed of around 35mph as if it was in some sort of limp mode, this carried on for about 5 or 6 miles and then as I was determined to get home I keep going to get home, then when I had reached an A road it suddenly was fine for the rest of the trip accelerating away as it should at a roundabout cruising at around 80mph on the motorways to get home. I thought on the way back it must have been a hick-up as has not been used in a while but the next day I went to use the car for a short commute and the problem had return and sure enough it straightened its self out a few miles down the road and was fine for the rest of the trip. what this problem says to me it only occurs when the internals is cold or not run in.
I'm not sure what it could but I potentially suspect the gearbox oil lever being low but unsure any help or advice on this tricky matter is greatly appreciated as I don't want it to taint my ownership of an e39 as I have always wanted one. Thank you for your time and consideration in reading this.

·
Registered
644 Posts
if it is gear box oil it is easy to do, done mine this year x3 would think it is the same.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
You say the revs took ages to climb do you mean you put your foot down and no acceleration like the brakes where on.
If that was the case it could be a split vacuum pipe but it is strange it clears up after a few miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it was more like it was struggling against the gearbox which wasn't changing correctly

·
Registered
7 Posts
Best thing to do is check the gearbox oil level is correct. If it is, I have seen these sometimes experience a problem with the gearbox switch that bolts to the side of the gearbox which causes them to play around in the gears intermittently at times. I would recommend getting it code read to see what faults you have, if you have one for gearbox switch I would be trying that first and making sure the oil level is correct.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
A fault code scan might show something.
But remember to clear them again and test drive then do another scan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello there Guys
Thank you for the response I'm going to plug it into my mate's code reader and jack it up to check the oil I will post the outcome. Thanks for your advice and help greatly appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts