BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In need of some advice please!

I currently have a 2003 Mondeo 2.5 V6 24v (167bhp) Everything works and being a Ford parts are readily available and cheap......But I miss owning a BMW. I have only owned 3 series in the past, E30, 36 and 46. There is a bloke who wants to swap his 2000 E39 530i auto for my Mondeo as he said he cant afford the insurance on the E39. I got an insurance quote today and its an extra £104 a year on what I am paying for my Mondeo. This is not so bad, I can handle paying a few extra quid for insurance...But....What are E39 3.0 engines and parts like as in price wise, also are the engines easy to work on? I have only had one 6 pot BMW and that was an E36 328i and never had to do anything on it as it was so incredibly reliable, but this was about 15 years ago so the car was not that old and had not covered many miles. So trying to weigh up if the BMW 530i will cost a lot more to run than my Mondeo, MPG wise is not a big issue so no worries there. Any help/advice would be great.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Look just stay with the ford, more reliable , cheaper to run overall,
But if you must have the badge go for a petrol, stay away from the derty dev,

I have a 57 plate 520d msport and a 58 plate corsa, and the corsa drives better that the BMW , but the corsa lacks power.

So I'm part exing the BMW as I have had all I can take of repairing it and losing the car every time for a week plus, just for it to come back to me with a big bill, and it still not fixed.

I think all my injectors need replacing now, that might fix it then again it might not, but I'm not going too find out
In two months it's gone when my new corsa gets here

I'll never buy another bmw

·
Registered
330 Posts
So I'm part exing the BMW as I have had all I can take of repairing it and losing the car every time for a week plus, just for it to come back to me with a big bill, and it still not fixed.
That's because it's a diesel. My petrol 3 series is 12 years old and has cost me virtually nowt in the last year.

OP, I'd go for the e39. If it's the m54 engine it will be reliable as anything. Fords are shockingly unreliable.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I'd go for the 530i as well. I've got 2 15 year old E39s (a 530i tourer and a 535i) and they've been very good as were the two previous E39s I've had. Find a good indy and the service bills are no worse than a Ford. The BMWs are relatively easy to work on if you fancy having a go at some of the stuff yourself. Take it for a test. If you like it do the swap. If your Ford feels better then keep it. Common faults on the E39 530is are little stuff like rocker cover gaskets, consumable like brakes and maybe the odd electrical niggle. Ask about oil use. Some do, some don't.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!

The 530i is more powerful having over 200 horses whereas mine has 167. Performance on my Mondeo is 0-60 in 10.2 and a top speed of 128mph. Economy wise I drive carefully these days due to my tender age of nearly 42 and get around 20MPG around town, think the 530 would be about the same?

Stuff like brake discs, exhausts and service items from say Euro Car Parts, will they be a bank breaker? I do like the sounds of the E39's as read they are meant to be very comfy cruisers?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Yeah get the 530i, the M54 is a great engine.
As said above the main costs and unreliability fall to the diesels and 4 cylinder petrols. The 6 pots are amongst the best cars you can buy for the money:cool

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
A good E39 is a mile eater. About a week after I picked up the 535i I took it on a 700 mile road trip. No problems at all and that was before I'd sorted the things I wanted to fix. Your about on the money with the mpg figures. Short stop/start stuff will hurt the numbers but you should get 30+ on the motorways. In theory you've got about 230bhp to play with and it should top out around 150 (on track of course) . They do shift if you boot them.

ECP parts I'd be a bit careful of. Some of their stuff is good, some not so much. There are some parts which if they neeed replacing, just buy OEM otherwise you'll almost certainly have problems. Obvious things in this area are stuff like the MAF. I can recommend a good upgrade for the headlights if you have stock halogens though there may be some dependency on the exact fittings. The H7s are problematic but the HB3/HB4 options are a breeze. If you have the xenons then you are already fine.

If its an auto with over 80K on the clock (which I'm guessing it is) and it hasn't had it done get the gearbox oil changed.

Other than that, just keep the oil changes regular (5K - ignore the book) and you'll be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts