BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
E39 528i year automatic 2000. We use the cigarette lighter to plug in the Garmin satnav but unfortunately the socket has stopped working. The fuse is OK so I believe I should try to inspect the actual cigarette lighter socket. The socket is mounted within a hinge and sprung cover arrangement and I am trying to find out how to remove the socket without demolishing the centre console. I have never removed the centre console before but it looks like a horrendous job. Is there a way to the cigarette lighter from behind the wooden dashboard because all I want to do is remove the unit for checking for debris or shorting and maybe replacement?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Regards
John

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
Just to be sure you checked both fuses F21 (glove box) and F52 (trunk). F21 is for the relay which is installed in some models. Did you measure the voltage at the bottom of the socket so that it's not just a poor contact between socket and plug.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to be sure you checked both fuses F21 (glove box) and F52 (trunk). F21 is for the relay which is installed in some models. Did you measure the voltage at the bottom of the socket so that it's not just a poor contact between socket and plug.
Many thanks - I did not know about the F52 but when I checked there it was - a blown fuse !! Fuse replaced and it works again so many thanks !!

I believe the reason for the blown fuse must have been the power take off plug for the Garmin satnav which has a fair quantity of metal plating and I believe it could well have shorted out. I did see another post on here which mentioned some of the power plugs are a risk of shorting so the recommendation is to only use a plastic plug with minimum metal. I will be careful in future.

Regards

John

PS - Do you know any reason for the radio being intermitant, suddenly cutting out and randomly coming back days later. I do suspect the amplifier but I am looking for other ideas as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts