BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been replacing a head gasket today on a 1998 523i E39 and after removing it the gasket showed no signs of failure such as tracking etc. Off to the shop with it and it has failed the pressure test. Now I have a dead car in my garage untill I locate a new head. Any good places recomended by people on here?
I am in the Westmidlands if it helps :)

Thanks
Baz.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All done and running now guys. I have been away for a week relaxing :cool hense the slow reply. I will pop some pictures in a thread later in the week though once I get them into some sort of order.
Turned out the head was cracked very lightly indeed and it was machined out no issue, had to re seat the valves deeper into the head etc but nothing a good machine shop cant do in 2 hours :D
thanks for the links they are stored for future use!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To be honest its all much of the same. A lot of the parts on the BMW follow a theme in the same way Toyota parts follow a theme. They both seem to have prefered ways of achiving a goal. You see benefits from both really. Once you get used to the ways things are done it all sort of flows if you follow me :)

The main difference was timing chain not belt. I am used to working on belts and always remove the belt to do a head gasket. On the BMW I removed the bolts from the timing cover but the head or sump had to come off to remove the cover. In the end I removed the head and left the chain cover on holding the chain taught around the pullies with a bunji cord. Vanos was easy enough to set using the old witness marks to refit the exhaust sprocket then checking across the tops of the 2 cam squares to be sure the 2 where perfectly aligned with the crank at TDC. before doing the bolts up to 20NM.

I have a 2001 330Ci to do in a couple of weeks, would be interested to see if I can do it in a day this time. I did lots of work for nothing trying to remove things I didnt have to, men hate to ask for directions or read instructions tho lol.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I have a 2001 330Ci to do in a couple of weeks, would be interested to see if I can do it in a day this time. I did lots of work for nothing trying to remove things I didnt have to, men hate to ask for directions or read instructions tho lol.
The 330i e46 will be twin vanos, slightly different procedure

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did read up a little on the twin set up I must confess. I didnt fancy another job with a bag full of suprizes lol.

I have to say I was shocked at how simple and yet potentialy effective the single Vanos was, twin vanos would be even better. I cant stop thinking how well it would complement a force induced engine. It wouldnt be out of the question to fit it on a Toyota engine, or force induce a 330Ci engine :D I must stop messing about doing these things :hihi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts