BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

(This is a long post, so if anyone doesn't bother to read the whole, just scroll down to summary ;) )

My problems started when I noticed there was not coming any heat into the cabin, and the coolant temp never would reach 12 o'clock mark in the dash.

At first I thought that the termostat was stuck open, but thought this was strange since it was only 2 years old (40000km) and i did a major cooling system overhaul last summer.

So I opened the expansion tank, and was suprised to see the entire tank was clogged with gunk..
I pulled off all the coolant hoses, and everyone was completely
Clogged. ..

I checked my oil level and it was fine.
And also checked the oil filler cap, which was also fine.

So I spent 2 weeks cleaning the entire cooling system, and we're fairly sure it was clean.
I thought maybe that when the termostat was changed 2 years ago ( Before my diy days began :p )
That maybe the mechanic's had mixed different coolants, and when I replaced my old last year, there was some old left coolant left in the system?

So I searched around on the net, and came to the conclusion that It had to be oil that got mixed with the coolant.
Going after this theory, I did a compression test on the cylinders, which all gave good results.

But at this point I concluded that it had to be a minor leak in the head gasket. Oil to coolant.

But before I started to tear the engine apart, I wanted to be sure that my theory about maybe different coolants had been mixed.
So I refilled the cooling system, and went for a 15min long drive.
Came back and checked the expansion tank.. and it was completely Clogged again..

Definitely head gasket then..

So this leads me to present time.
I have now separated the top from the engine block, and inspected the head gasket.
From what I've seen, all surfaces looks fine.
And I can't see or feel any cracks...

Does anyone have any experience from having the top resurfaced? And results afterwards?

I'can't uploaded pictures right now, but if anyone wants to have a picture of anything, just let me know and I'll upload later.

Summary:
Coolant had become gunk
No oil loss, and engine oil looks fine.
Engine separated, no visible cracks and headgasket looks fine

Car har overheated 2 times before. First time 60000km ago related to water pump, second time 30000 km ago related to termostat.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts