BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lads in need of a little help, on Friday(the 13th):yikes my 2000 520i started idling roughly dropping revs almost to the point of dying and then just about picking up again. There was a noticeable smell of petrol too. So as I was on my way to my mechanic I noticed when I put the boot down she ran all ''lumpy'' with a serious lack of power. When I ease off on the pedal she went back to normal, but idling at lights she was ''lumpy''.

Got her plugged in and the fault came back as Ignition coil 1 & 4 , I replaced them today (I think ... if 1 is closest to the windscreen I did) but the car is still exactly the same.

Does anyone have any ideas ? or am I after changing 3 and 6 ?

Any help or ideas welcome , cheers lads

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bumping for help and adding an edit : there wasn't and still isn't any eml light on in the dash

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: the car is fixed I had the coils in 6 and 3 instead of 1 and 4. the coils run from the windscreen side 6,5,4,3,2,1. This might help someone else . Mods feel free to close this thread if ye want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the update. I'd have no idea which order they fired in. I've just got an E39 520i last Thursday. Currently ironing out the niggles to bring it up to scratch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts