BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys my brother recently bought a 525d which need the glow plugs changed.

My question is i,v heard stories about the glow plugs snapping in the head

is there any tips ao advice anybody can offer or any special way on removing them to avoid snaping them.

will be doing the job next weekend and were pretty handy with tools. any special tools required for the plugs or just a 10mm socket?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Think you might need a deep socket. (seam to remember when look at mine that a normal socket would be too short to reach the nut part of the plug. Google image it to check)

Use some wd40 or similar, and apply pressure to the ratchet progressively making sure your pulling squarely against the plug. They will probably go with a big crack! then undo ok. Good luck :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Correct and leave it to soak in as long as possible. You sure there only 10mm? I google imaged them look a bit bigger?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think there 10mm I saw a post on here where a member changed them on a 320d who said there 10mm so I thought e39 will be the same

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I think there 10mm I saw a post on here where a member changed them on a 320d who said there 10mm so I thought e39 will be the same
Could well be didn't study mine that hard when I had the manifold off a while back. Look at the new ones and see what size/style of socket you need :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will keep updated once there changed knowing my luck somthing will go wrong and I'll be back asking for help lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts