BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 2000 e38 728i which is fitted with mkII sat nav and the smaller display screen.

the sat nav works, but only with pressed discs (ie. bmw supplied discs) which indicates that the laser is on its way out. the disc I have in there at the moment is over 10yrs old, so I need more up-dated mapping.

my choices are therefore as follows:-

replace the laser in the mkii drive - this will cost approx. £30 for the part and then the labour of having it done.
buy a mkiv drive from ebay for circa £250.00
leave the mkii in situ and buy a TomTom

I'm not sure how long I will keep the car for, so am reluctant to spend too much cash, although I know that if I upgrade to mkiv, I can simply swap back to mkii if I sell and then put the mkiv on ebay again. a TomTom I can take with me to the next car.

thoughts?

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
You should be able to just plug in the Mk4, I had a Mk2 in mine, and it was a direct swap to an Mk3, with maybe one small thing like unplugging a GPS aerial.

The Mk2's had an external GPS receiver, the Mk3's are internal.

I got the MK3 as a friend upgraded his MK3>MK4, and this passed down the line, so I know 2>3 is a quick swap, and 3>4 is the same, so 2>4 shouldn't be an issue.
I pretty sure that there is a setting for screen size too, so it'll run on the 4:3 smaller screen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts