BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

e38 v12 into a 325 convertible e36

8K views 35 replies 10 participants last post by  martyxke 
#1 ·
have got a e38 750 at the moment as really like the v12, have had 325 convert's in the past and really like them, was thinking of getting another and poss putting the v12 in the 325, ben reading alot of site and few say about the extra weight being a big problem, looked up the engine weights and the diffence between the 2.5 m50 and the 5.4 m73 is only 16kg, so buy the time i take the massive 110 amp battery from my v12 and lug that in the boot of a 325, it shouldnt be that much diffence should it??? need to know of any info on this conversion, any ideas of what gearbox would fit, have the steptronic on the 750 at the moment but would like to go manual on the e36, any pointers or any info greatfuly recieved, many thanks in advance:thumbsup

#2 · (Edited)
well...
I cant imagine it to be a cheap to do. I think its only ever been done once before in an e30!
The obvious gearbox would be the 6 speed manual from a bmw 850. Wont be easy to find but out there. Rumour has it, that it may mate to an audi a6 gearbox, i cant varify that at the mo.

If you have the donor car then you will basically need to transfer all things electrical from that, to your 3 series. You may need a different final drive and prop.
The 3 series v12 has the z3 m diff, so im not sure if that is just part of the tuning package or a necessity. Though the v12 with 350 bhp diff will have different ratios to that in your 3 series.

Other than that i cant help, you are kind of swimming in unknown territory anyway, so i think one of you biggest problems will be trying to squeeze that engine in that engine bay, it has been done before as i say, but it will be like squeezing a fat peg in a small hole!

#4 ·
well theres some inspiration for you! A v12 squeezed into a compact!

Mind that bloke on PPC has got a merlin aero 27 litre engine in his sd1! so anything is possible!!

Let us know what you decide on! :thumbsup

#6 ·
will prob go for it at some time, maybe towards end of theyear, give me time to get a 325 and save up some cash etc!! only diffence with my engine to the e30 conversion is mine is the 5.4 v12 not the 5.0, dont know how much difference that will make, will do more research, especially on the gearbox part, will see if the steptronic from my 750 will fit might be the best route,

#7 ·
been searching all day for innfo as i had the day off, cant find any info regarding what to do about the ecu,s would like to run just 1 instead of the 3 already fitted, if i had to runthe 3 fitted already is it as simple as just transfering all over to the 3 series or will there be code problems, also could someone tell me where the fuel pump is on the 3 series, i know the 7 is under the back seat as have just had it replaced, would also like to remove the chain driven oil pump and fit maybe electric oil pump if this is poss, info needed, many thanks in advance

#10 ·
now looking at a 318 as they seem alot more readly avaible and cheaper than the 325, what i need to know is if all the parts are upgradable as a striaght fit, ie suspension, brakes, anti roll bars etc, was thinking of using all upgraded m3 parts if they will fit on a 318,

#12 ·
been reading about the differences in ews and ews11, from what i can make out my 750 being a 95 e38 has the ews11, so in order to make the transplant alot easier i would need to get and e36 with ews11 aswell, if anyone know any different, please let me know, also still looking for answers on some of the above questions,

#13 ·
bump , anyone got answers to any of the above, few people i have been speaking too say "just get an m3" after doing the figures, weight and power of m3 compared to my conversion, even an m3 evo top power ratings works out at 209hp per ton, taking the weight of my enigne and the weight of the new car mine would work out at about 235hp per ton, and thats based on exsisting weights, if i take in to account removing bits from the v12 engine ie aircon, plus i will be fitting eletric fan and removing the belt driven one plus do some tuning before the enigne goes in plus a remap i should see some pretty big hp figures, and not have the cost of the m3, what do think??

#14 ·
just thought of a big problem with my project ,at the moment i think i get about 450ish miles from a tanks on my 750 but if fitted to a 325 with a 13 gallon tank i will only get about 150ish, any solutions anyone?????

#16 ·
still need info on the ews, this will determind which 3 series convert i buy, and that being the first thing to do i need to get that info sorted before anything else, any info would be great, many thanks

#17 ·
someone on here replyed saying maybe an audi a6 gearbox would fit, i can confirm it will with a adapter plate, found a company that has them but are 425 quid, was thinking of just sticking with the step/auto i have already or maybe a 6 speed getrag if that would fit, still need loads of info if anyone has any please???

#18 ·
bump; really need info on this to get the ball rolling, :confused as stated above ewsII is going to be the biggest problem so need any info on this and maybe other gearbox solutions, :frown

ps think i have managed to source a good z3 steering rack, :D

#24 ·
Yes but it doesn't work on all models and it's against forum rules to post the info:thumbsup

What you have to remember is by telling people on the forum how to do it we are effectively telling them how to go out and steal a BMW:frown

Also there is the possibility that BMW would have something to say about it if they found out we were posting this information and this is likely as we have had visits by members who work for BMW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.