BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oil service is due and because of the value of the car and service costs i want to do as much as i can with regards to servicing myself:hihi

Apart from the obvious oil and filter what else would be done during a proper oil service at a garage, also what oil is recommended for the 728 and how much, i saw in another thread the 750 taking about 7.5 litres:jaw-dropping

:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
My oil service is due and because of the value of the car and service costs i want to do as much as i can with regards to servicing myself:hihi

Apart from the obvious oil and filter what else would be done during a proper oil service at a garage, also what oil is recommended for the 728 and how much, i saw in another thread the 750 taking about 7.5 litres:jaw-dropping

Try Fuchs 5w/40 super syn from GSF, you'll need 2 tubs.

When the car was serviced last, what was changed/replaced?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts

An oil service at my local BMW dealer is 150 quid, parts and labour included. Considering just the oil and filter is gonna cost you £65 quid plus, I'd just let them do it. A BMW history is gonna help your part-ex value etc. whenever you sell your car.

Reactions: matt_pc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oil Service

Oil Services are really Cheap. Mines cost me just £65 from an independant dealer in Leicester. All it consists of was Oil & Oil Filter. Depending on what mileage your car has covered, it is then when you can decide what oil to use.

My 96 740i has done 183,000 miles so i use 10W 40 Oil. Its very "water like" due to the high mileage but runns as new.

A diligent mechanic will also check brake pads and top up other fluid such as windscreen washer and ATF fluid. Some mechanics also need to be told to do this. The reason behind this is simple, servicing is very important and if it is not done properly, you will not see the mechinic untill the next serivce, by that time parts that have alost or have worn out could cause breakdowns.

I have heard and believed that if looked aftered properly, these German Behemoths can do in the excess of 250,000 miles!!!

·
Platinum BFuk Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car has done 87k now and has the service up to date until now. I'll probably get my mate to do it at his garage so i can get my book stamped although it wont be BMW and the service light reset.

Considering the milage of 87k would the 5w 40 be the better bet or something else?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Matt. Your Princess is lovely. Yes the grade of oil you have quoted to me "5w 40" sounds perfect. Once the car hits over 120,000 miles then it is worth using differant oil like mines. As for now, the 5W 40 is the best.. Use it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts