BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again. I need help with a few problems. Long story short my e38 pride and joy was written off by an uninsured driver, and some very kind people helped me to replace it. I now have a 1997 728i.
During the 3 hour or so 140 mile drive home from collecting my beautiful new car, I got some problems. The garage was closed by that point but I have messaged them. In the meantime I am a bit worried.

1st thing was I noticed a very slight knocking noise when driving at slow speed, had been cruising on motorway and slowed to 20 or 30 mph when I noticed that. Might be an exhaust mount or something maybe??

2nd was the gearbox. A couple of times it felt like it was not in gear (it’s auto) and just revved a bit, then jerked. Gear changed were fine, so only happed pulling off from stationary. Was also a little bit snatchy when I floored it hard, but I didn’t do that much. Then the transmission fail prog message came on the dash. I stopped and the message cleared. It did this twice.

3rd and most worrying to me is what happened after I got home. I parked up, and after about an hour got a knock on the door from someone telling me I had left my lights on. I went out and sure enough my drivers side light was on. Parking light maybe? I checked the indicator stalk and that was not left over, so not that. I started the car and moved it a bit, put lights on and off etc. And it went off. Came out after about 30 mins and it was back on again. This time I couldn’t get it to go off, and the green dashboard cruise control light was illuminated. When I did the ignition the indicator lit once then the orange warning triangle in the middle before going out, but the headlight stayed on. Then it started flashing (still just the drivers sidelight). My solution was to take out the bulb, but then when I tried to check my headlights only the passenger one worked after that, but I hadn’t done anything to the other bulbs. I didn’t notice anything funny with the lights at any point before hand.

I have not done anything more yet as it was late and I was very exhausted as it had been a 13 travelling day, but I will be back out looking at it when I wake up. I’m no mechanic so don’t even know what things like guido things are, but I am also not quite a wet squib either.

Any suggestions would be really appropriated. Hopefully I have a mechanic plugging into it on Monday, but I didn’t realise that unlike my 99 facelift model, the 97 pre facelift model doesn’t have the obd2 port next to the cup holder, it is just empty, so I assume it is the fat round one under the bonnet only? I can ask him to look at anything that might be the cause of any of those problems if anyone has any ideas.

I forgot to mention that the car has only done 127k miles and has full service history and a brand new day old mot. It has had no advisories or anything for about the last 5 mots and was previously owned by a guy in his 80s for the last 13 years after buying it from the original garage where is was a showroom car for 10 years. His mileage over the last 3 or 4 years has been dropping drastically (as I guess most people do at 80) from about 2000 miles, to 600, to 300 or so miles, so it hasn’t had excessive use. I don’t know if that would make any difference, but thought I would mention it seeing as I know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, quick update, the parking light issue has stopped doing it for now at least. I bought replacement indicator arms and a new squib with the intention of swapping those first, as I figured the problem would be best tackled starting with the indicator arm. Before I could fit them it has stopped, so if it’s not broke don’t fix it is my opinion. I guess it could have been a dry joint or something, but of dirt in something maybe, something that with a little bit of use has started working again. I guess time will tell.

As for the gearbox, the problems are a result of low oil in my gearbox. A gearbox oil change which I know some people say don’t and others say do, and a change of filter and the gearbox was running smooth as a whistle again. That is until it pissed all the gearbox oil over the road and lost the gears again. Turns out that I have a leak somewhere between the gearbox and the cooler, not sure exactly where, but it is going to the mechanic on Monday to be done and for a refill on the gearbox oil and that will sort that problem out.

Hopefully he will get to the bottom of the knocking noise that only seems to happen at slow speed once the car has warmed up. I am not sure yet the cause of that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts