BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my e38 750 a couple of months ago from eBay. Everything was as described when I went to view it and collect it. There was an issue with a patch of cracked clearcoat on the roof and a small amount of rust on the roof ditch/gutter which the seller sent me pictures of.

Yesterday I went to a body shop to get a quote on repairing it all.
As soon as he saw the cracks he said it was filler. This came as a bit of a surprise to me. He pointed out that the top half of the rear quarter, the C pillar and the roof had been re-sprayed and a good quarter of the roof was filled. Now he's pointed it out it is quite easy to spot the slight colour difference.
He suspects at some point in its life it has either been rolled on its side or jumped on. I am very disappointed with this news. The car seemed perfect but now in hindsight maybe a little too good to be true. The car was mint and with only 42000 genuine miles, i wouldn't expect to find any filler. How wrong was I.
The only good news is he can repair it to a high standard and for just £250, which I think is very reasonable. I've seen some of his work and its good.
I just wanted to let you all know of this story to make you all aware that there are some dodgy backgrounds to even the most innocent looking motors.

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
Damn. Hopefully, it's just vandal damage. Bit late now to worry about it, just get it sprayed as you intended to anyway.

You have to be so careful buying cars. I just about picked up on it when purchasing my car and have since resolved this issue - but someone had removed the ABS bulb to disguise a fault...

·
Registered
52 Posts
£250 is reasonable to repair it.

Maybe it didn't roll on it's side etc, and maybe it's something minor like an accidental scrape made somewhere. If the car and mileage is genuine, it might be worth getting it sorted - so at least if you sell it in the future it'll retain monetary value to an extent.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hopefully your right sinnus. Guess i'll find out when the paint gets stripped off it. Its booked in for the 19th of April. Will let you know the findings. Yeah £250 I thought was a superb price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.