BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E38 750 - oil consumption

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  chrisn 
#1 ·
I like to drive my 750, pretty damn hard! Too hard maybe? I don't know.

I service often and currently use Mobil 0-40w New Life and I am topping up the oil every few hundred miles, whenever the dash tells me. It is not a great amount I have to put in so I am wondering whether this is normal given the viscosity of the oil, the nature of my driving and of course, the M73 engine.

I have noticed my exhaust is a little smokey (white) but it isn't a great deal of smoke, engine compartment is tidy and there are no visible leaks.

I had over filled my engine coolant (sorry E38 enthusiasts) and noticed a pale-green gunge on the inside of the oil filler cap. After dumping a bit of coolant down in Kent, then a HARD drive up to West Yorkshire, checked again and it was clean so corrected the fault.

Suggestions please!

#2 ·
No replies, seriously; Have I worded my question wrong???

If it helps, I have no issue with idle, any misfiring - the car is mechanically sweet and sound.

#4 ·
looks like lots of reasons to assume, thorough inspection time needed although. There are never any oil patchs under the car! Still, better be safe than sorry.

#5 ·
It seems we have similar tastes in motors! (E38 1999 750iL, E46 2000 330Ci Convertible).

Are you sure the exhaust is white smoke and not steam? Again, a green deposit on the oil cap? I am thinking coolant is entering the engine...is this why you had to top up the coolant? What does the dipstick oil look like

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.