BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having owned a 728i now for 6 months and although I think it has decent performance considering its size, i'm itching to get a bit more performance so would like a e38 that goes as well as it looks and am thinking of buying either a 740i or 750i, what would you recommend? I like the idea of a v12 because of the massive torque and sheer opulence but im frightened by the fuel bills!! can you get resonable MPG out of the V12 if you tickle the throttle or is it sub 20s whatever you do?
On the other hand the growl of a V8 is equally appealling...

How you you guys rate the V12, some say its an unreliable unit, other say its good?

Cheers!
Steve

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have had a 750 for a few months now and am loving the engine. I don't do a huge amount of miles so fuel consumption is not a big issue. I am averaging 16.2 mpg. I drove it back from London and was getting 27 mpg at 85 mph. I'm yet to experience the higher costs of 750 parts that people speak about. I've not heard of or experienced any reliability issues. But mine is a very low milage example. For the sheer buzz, the roar and the smile it puts on your face when you put your foot down I'd go for the 750 but I guess I'm biased.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that guys, I love the idea of a v12 like i say as my 728i (although brisk when wound up) is quite sluggish around town, and i only average 27.9mpg as best, and thats being easy on the gas!

whats the difference between the two of them fuel consumption wise?

·
Registered
9 Posts
On a run if I'm really gentle I can get 24mpg on the motorway or 22mpg on A roads. I could probably get more on a run if I could resist the temptation of nailing it now and again. Looking at the figures there seems to be little between the models, the easiest way to choose is just look at both and find the cleanest best example with the most service history, both cars are limited to 155 mph top speed and it's not really a car for taking to the peak of it's performance, there's plenty in em both.

·
Registered
20 Posts
On a run if I'm really gentle I can get 24mpg on the motorway or 22mpg on A roads. I could probably get more on a run if I could resist the temptation of nailing it now and again. Looking at the figures there seems to be little between the models, the easiest way to choose is just look at both and find the cleanest best example with the most service history, both cars are limited to 155 mph top speed and it's not really a car for taking to the peak of it's performance, there's plenty in em both.
I'd love a 750i, I understand you can pick them up cheaply now. Nice one m8.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cheers for that guys. I might as well take the plunge and opt for a 750i when I get mine sold, when I set the cruise I can average 32mpg at 56mph so I bet a 750i wont be too much different to that...(I hope!)

Steve :):)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had an 850i a few years ago and it definately 'drank' fuel. It's a similar size and weight to the 5.0l 750i, so probably similar economy, but I used to get 25mpg at 70mph, 22mpg at 80mph and early teens around town. My 2 mile work jouney did 9mpg from cold, but usually, most with journeys, you'd be lucky to reach 20mpg. The 5.0l V12 engine is heavier than the 4.4l M62 engine and only has 14bhp more and the same torque figure. The 4.4l engine is loads better on fuel economy. My 745i does 26.6mpg average since I bought it. On the motorway it does 28+mpg at 80mph (although it is the newer N62 engine with the 6-speed 'box).

If I were you, I opt for the 4.4 V8 lump as it has very similar performance to the V12.
My V12 sounded awsome and was sooooooo smooth, but cost me a fortune to maintain it. At 106k I had the rocker cover gaskets replaced which was 12 hours labour alone!! Yes, I said rocker cover gaskets!! on a normal car you'd expect it to take that for head gaskets.

A few years ago, my 540i, which had an M62 4.4, took 2.5 hours to replace the rocker gaskets. Far cheaper and easier to maintain. Can't remember the actual mpg figures though.

This is just my opinion, but with my personal experience, it would be the 4.4 engine every time.

Giles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.