BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a E36 320i 1995 with the original wheels on that I want to keep.
The tyre size at the moment are 205/60 R15. I think the wheels are a 7j

What are the widest tyres I can put onto these wheels safe and legal?

Can you give me the exact size I should ask for?

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
205/60 15 is probably the widest you can go on a 7J but it would worth trying a 225/50 15. May bulge over the sides of the wheel... Good if your wheels are getting kerbed:rofl

If the 225 is a possible upgrade I wouldn't advise using it on the front as you will encounter tram lining problems:thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
153 Posts
205/60 15 is probably the widest you can go on a 7J but it would worth trying a 225/50 15. May bulge over the sides of the wheel... Good if your wheels are getting kerbed:rofl

If the 225 is a possible upgrade I wouldn't advise using it on the front as you will encounter tram lining problems:thumbsup
Just had a look in the owners handbook and 225/55x15 is listed under tyre pressures and i helped break a coupe last year on standard 15" alloys that had 225/55x15's on it and RYM is right they do bulge quite nicely over the sides proper old skool style :cool

Reactions: RYM

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Just had a look in the owners handbook and 225/55x15 is listed under tyre pressures and i helped break a coupe last year on standard 15" alloys that had 225/55x15's on it and RYM is right they do bulge quite nicely over the sides proper old skool style :cool
Thank You for the confirmation of the correct size tyre:thumbsup

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it still recommended not to fit the 225 on the front because of the tram lining effect mentioned earlier or is it OK now to go ahead and fit them on the front as well as the back?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
153 Posts
Well the owners manual did list pressures for the front and back so I would say yeah it is :thumbsup it may cause a little more tramlining but it can't be too bad or Bmw wouldn't've suggested it! ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brilliant. :thumbsup
It won't be too far away from having to replace all 4. So I'll go with the wider 225's. :thumbsup

Is it OK to use a 205/60 R15 for the spare or do I have to replace the spare with a 225 as well by law?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
153 Posts
Given the fact that a lot of new cars come with a space saver which is a lot smaller than normal wheels I believe u will be perfectly within the law (just be aware it will not handle quite right if u have to use it;) ) as long as it's got legal tread otherwise it won't pass an mot but it is also legal to not carry a spare :thumbsup

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
a spare wheel isnt required to pass an mot test...but if its present at the time of the test it has to be legal.
not sure on the size issue,but with space savers you are speed limited to 50 mph.
it would require a very sharp eyed officer of the law to notice your normal spare fitted as a get you home measure.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
That's what I'll do. Keep the best out of the five for the spare.:thumbsup

Thanks
Sounds wise to me:thumbsup

In all fairness, MOST people would fit the spare and then go straight to the garage for repair or replacement anyway although there's always someone that gets caught out with a flat spare where it has slipped their mind:frown

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.