BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

starting to junk the standard stuff now, started off with a Alpine CDA-9887R
headunit which has made a diff already, i've found the speaker sizes etc i need to fit in original places, was a nice suprise to find theres adapter plates for 6x9's, i dont wanna cut anything because i want any changes i make on the car to look factory, anyway what speakers would you recommend? i listen to a wide range of music at all volumes and dont really wanna mess round with amps etc so i need some that are responsive and efficent?
Had JBL's in my clio williams which were nice
any thoughts?
thanks! jon

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm willing to pay for quality, would be nice to stick with components really but not too power hungry am after definition and some nice punch

·
Registered
38 Posts
are you willing to install component speakers (seperate tweeter and mid), if you are this is good as you will get a better quality sound.

also I know the front speaker sizes are quoted at 5 1/4" but you can get away with 6" but not 6 1/2"

DLS do some fantastic kit, their R5A comps are very defined, great midbass, and bright but not too bright treble.

Cliff designs (CDT) are great also, similar sound to dls.

Rainbow make some great kit, I have a pair of Rainbow pro kickbass myself, their treble units are quite sharp though.

The DLS R5A are nearly £200 though, is this what you had in mind or much cheaper?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Round that sort of price I'd also consider Focal components.

How about looking at mounting 8" free-air subs instead of 6x9's?
Focal have very bright treble, would need a good installer to tame that treble a bit.

I like the 8" sub idea, but if the OP later installs some subs in the boot then they will end up interfering with each other.

How bout some 8" midbass in the front doors though? :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
some nice ideas, yeah have run components before but JL, wat size are the tweeters in the doors? the 8" subs are a nice idea for the back would be nice an punchy but i'm not keen on running a amp, i don't fancy cutting anything either as i'll be putting everything back to standard when i get another car

·
Registered
38 Posts
no idea about the sizes, the doors had a grille on there from before, it is about 3" wide, and the tweets they put there were hot glued on.

Note to self, I must get around to changing them crappy tweets.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
some nice ideas, yeah have run components before but JL, wat size are the tweeters in the doors? the 8" subs are a nice idea for the back would be nice an punchy but i'm not keen on running a amp, i don't fancy cutting anything either as i'll be putting everything back to standard when i get another car
Tweeters are mostly all same size , just outer casing shapes that vary . Take out from case and put in where standard ones go. At worst a touch of resoldering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.