BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting one of these short shifters

just wanted to know has anyone got one and if yes 'can you feel the difference or is it worth fitting one

whats the advantages and are there any dis-advantages??

help please

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
They are well worth it!! Sorts out the very long throw on the lever.
But PLEASE do not get one of those, they make the shift too short and makes it very hard work every day.
I have the part numbers for the shifter conversion using BMW parts and they cost about £50.
Give me an hour and ill give you all the part numbers you need. ;)
Avoid the other one, trust me they are crap. I know coz ive made the same mistake myself :D

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
This is what you need
25 11 7 527 252 Z3 shift lever
25 11 1 220 600 Lever Bush
25 11 220 379 Lower Spring Clip

All these are BMW part numbers and it cost me about £45 ish.
Its the best i have come across without spending a fortune, the shift is nice and crisp without being uncomfortable. If you need any help with fitting ill give you some pointers because ive fitted 5 or 6 of these now. :)

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
You can go into your local BMW dealers with those part numbers and they will get them in for you.
They are not too bad to fit but you need to get under the car to gain access to the spring clip thats holds the lever onto the gearbox.
When you get the parts PM me and ill write up a how to guide with pics etc.
:thumbsup

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is what you need
25 11 7 527 252 Z3 shift lever
25 11 1 220 600 Lever Bush
25 11 220 379 Lower Spring Clip

All these are BMW part numbers and it cost me about £45 ish.
Its the best i have come across without spending a fortune, the shift is nice and crisp without being uncomfortable. If you need any help with fitting ill give you some pointers because ive fitted 5 or 6 of these now. :)
Is there a reason why your part number is for the lever from a 2.0 Z3 rather than 2.8, or do you know why the parts have different numbers? (2.8 lever ends 3 rather than 2)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would like to know too.
I've seen articles quoting partnumbers 25117527253 and others 25117527254.
That last one was a straight lever. The first one I don't know if it's straight or bended...

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've had a quick scan through the "How To" section, and can't see Steve's guide......
So i reckon he's been slacking :rofl

I like the idea of this mod so will be watching this one with interest :thumbsup

·
Registered
354 Posts
are these part-numbers for the coupe 318IS? i am interested in this.

·
Registered
800 Posts
heard this discussion many times most e36's can get away with using the z3m lever but i'm told that on a 318is this touches the prop shaft so you have to make do with the z3 1.9 version
heres a pic of them side by side

and i can also reccommend a weighted gear knob and this makes it a lot less notchy! and you cant get much more weighted than the storm motorwerks stuff mine is one of the best mods i've done and looks nifty too!

·
Registered
354 Posts
heard this discussion many times most e36's can get away with using the z3m lever but i'm told that on a 318is this touches the prop shaft so you have to make do with the z3 1.9 version

and i can also reccommend a weighted gear knob and this makes it a lot less notchy! and you cant get much more weighted than the storm motorwerks stuff mine is one of the best mods i've done and looks nifty too!

nice ill have to have a look at this then when i get some spare time and money =(long wait :()

·
Registered
51 Posts

Mr Lee,

Thanks a lot for this good info.
Unfortunately I noticed to late and I bought a 2511 7 527 253 (Z3 2.8/3.0).
Here is it next to my stock 2511 7 527 247 (E36 318is '95)

And indeed something is touching something making a hell of an unpleasant noise. I had a good look underneath and found out that it was not the lower part of the lever that was touching the propshaft but the selector rod that was touching the torsional vibration absorber 2611 1 434 254 (the brake -drum-alike ashtray-alike thing around the rubber universal joint at the front of the shaft. This happens in second and reverse only BTW.
I removed the selector rod and it is clear where it touches

It is a little bent at the end but it is straight were it touches

[sweet violence]Not any more[/sweet violence] :D

Problem solved ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi
Can anyone help with a 3ltr m3, want a decent short shift, the stick is very loose as well in gear and neutral is quite old now, do i need to replace bushs or similar to fix this?
thanks
link
I replaced parts 2, 3, 4, 7, 10, 11, 12 and 15. That solved this sloppyness issue in my case.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.